Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Ubuntu 18.04 (Kernel 5.11) Bluetooth Failing

jardineworks
Novice

Hey Guys, 

I'm hoping that this is showing up in the right area -- it's my first time posting in this forum. I recently received a Razer Blade Pro (2021) laptop. I removed the Windows installation and have instead installed Ubuntu 18.04 LTS. Right out the gate I ran into a couple of issues -- the Wifi and Bluetooth. I upgraded my kernel to 5.11 and install the Wifi drivers in the /lib/firmware directory. That got me past the Wifi issue. I'm not trying to resolve the Bluetooth issues. The drivers appeared to be missing so I installed the 

ibt-0041-0041.sfi, ibt-0041-0041.ddc

files into /lib/firmware/intel, restarted and that seemed to resolve the missing drivers issue. Sadly though, I still don't have it working. When I am in the GUI it looks like the bluetooth is turning on and off (there is a flickering type behaviour). When I use 

dmesg | grep -i bluetooth 

I have some output that I think is trying to describe the problem. Here is would it shows --

[  134.125688] Bluetooth: hci0: Bootloader timestamp 2019.40 buildtype 1 build 38
[  134.125747] Bluetooth: hci0: Found device firmware: intel/ibt-0041-0041.sfi
[  134.125751] Bluetooth: hci0: Invalid CSS Header version
[  134.125854] Bluetooth: hci0: Intel reset sent to retry FW download
[  134.720620] Bluetooth: hci0: Device revision is 0
[  134.720632] Bluetooth: hci0: Secure boot is enabled
[  134.720636] Bluetooth: hci0: OTP lock is enabled
[  134.720640] Bluetooth: hci0: API lock is enabled
[  134.720644] Bluetooth: hci0: Debug lock is disabled
[  134.720648] Bluetooth: hci0: Minimum firmware build 1 week 10 2014
[  134.720655] Bluetooth: hci0: Bootloader timestamp 2019.40 buildtype 1 build 38
[  134.720732] Bluetooth: hci0: Found device firmware: intel/ibt-0041-0041.sfi
[  134.720738] Bluetooth: hci0: Invalid CSS Header version
[  134.720800] Bluetooth: hci0: Intel reset sent to retry FW download

I managed to track down the "Invalid CSS Header version" output in a header file (from the C codebase) but honestly I am unsure what would cause it or how to resolve the issue. I've posted in the Ubuntu forums, but given the virtual radio silence I am thinking maybe that this forum might be a better way to go. 

Anyone have any thoughts?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
jardineworks
Novice

Hey Maria, 

I've managed to solve the issue. This is a new installation of Ubuntu and while I was trying to get the bluetooth and the wireless adapter working I was cycling through several versions of Ubuntu (and actually several distros of Linux as well). Over the weekend I thought perhaps upgrading to 20.04 with the bluetooth drivers in place might resolve the issue so I went ahead and ran that process. After it completed and I restarted the machine the bluetooth issue was resolved. So it looks like everything is working (or at least these two things are working) the way I had hoped.

Thanks for your time. I'll report back if I have any further issues. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Maria_R_Intel

Hello jardineworks,

Thank you for posting on the Intel* Community.

To better assist you, please run the below report on your computer and provide us with the results https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26735/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-the-Linux-Operating-System

Also, can you please confirm the wireless card model integrated into your system?

regards,

Maria R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
jardineworks
Novice

Hi Maria -- Here are the results of what you asked me to run.

1. hciconfig -a

This returned nothing when I ran it.

2. hciconfig -i <interfacename> up

I didn't run this command because I had no interface name reported from step one. So I skipped this one and went to step #3.

3. lsusb | grep 8087

Running this command did the same as step #1 -- it didn't actually output any data.

4. modinfo btintel

filename: /lib/modules/5.11.0-051100-generic/kernel/drivers/bluetooth/btintel.ko
firmware: intel/ibt-12-16.ddc
firmware: intel/ibt-12-16.sfi
firmware: intel/ibt-11-5.ddc
firmware: intel/ibt-11-5.sfi
license: GPL
version: 0.1
description: Bluetooth support for Intel devices ver 0.1
author: XXXXXX (deleting sensitive information)
srcversion: 2300CAA60F5EB6204394A97
depends: bluetooth
retpoline: Y
intree: Y
name: btintel
vermagic: 5.11.0-051100-generic SMP mod_unload
signat: PKCS#7
signer:
sig_key:
sig_hashalgo: md4

-- it looks like this means that the drivers are installed since I didn't get any error messages.

5. dmesg | grep Bluetooth

Same results as what I posted in the initial message. Seems to be constantly outputting as it tried to connect? I also ran your grep command on the syslog and there is A LOT of output. but it is basically repeating itself which I think makes sense given that the dmesg command seems to be looping as well. Here is what was in the log (part of it)

Mar 17 08:20:27 blade kernel: [ 1154.784248] Bluetooth: hci0: Found device firmware: intel/ibt-0041-0041.sfi
Mar 17 08:20:28 blade kernel: [ 1155.377232] Bluetooth: hci0: Found device firmware: intel/ibt-0041-0041.sfi
Mar 17 08:20:28 blade kernel: [ 1155.976183] Bluetooth: hci0: Found device firmware: intel/ibt-0041-0041.sfi
Mar 17 08:20:29 blade kernel: [ 1156.565051] Bluetooth: hci0: Found device firmware: intel/ibt-0041-0041.sfi

I also followed you link and ran the script. It started by saying that it was not "for my version" (I think the page actually referenced Ubuntu 16.04 and I am on 18.04) but after installing a few packages it seemed to run anyway. I have attached the output (txt) file to this message.

Here is a link to the model of laptop that I am working with here: https://www.razer.com/gaming-laptops/Razer-Blade-Pro-17/RZ09-0368BEA2-R3U1

Please let me know if you have any other ideas. I'm totally stuck right now.

0 Kudos
Maria_R_Intel

Hello jardineworks,

Thank you for the information.

Please follow the below steps:

Step 1: Check whether the Bluetooth adapter is identified by the system:

Run "hciconfig -a" command and check the details. If adapter is identified, the details will be shown as below. If hciconfig shows that adapter is down, proceed with the Step 2:

Step 2: Enable Bluetooth adapter:

If hciconfig shows that adapter is down, lesser details of the adapter will be shown as below.

Enable the adapter by running "hciconfig -i <interface name> up"

Step 3: Identifuing adapter:

If hciconfig is not showing any details, then check if the system is identifying adapter using "lsusb | grep 8087" command

If "lsusb | grep 8087" is not showing any details, then the adapter is not identified and you should check whether the adapter is integrated properly and contact the system manufacturer.

Step 4: Check if bluetooth drivers are loaded:

If lsusb is showing BT adapter then check if bluetooth drivers are loaded. Please type: modinfo btintel

If Intel BT drivers are not installed, then modinfo command will print "modinfo: ERROR: Module btintel not found". Driver installation required.

Step 5: FW installation:

Get the firmware version installed. If the firmware old, install the latest firmware:

1. Run the "dmesg | grep Bluetooth" command and check the firmware version
  2. If the firmware version is not available in dmesg, then check in syslog. Run below command:
  3. grep Bluetooth /var/log/syslog | grep -i -e "Firmware revision" -e "ibt"
  4. If Please visit here for latest firmwares - https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git

Please, let me know the outcome.

Best regards,

Maria R.

0 Kudos
Maria_R_Intel

Hello jardineworks,

Thank you for the information.

It seems like my previous post was published again, I will not delete it. Now that we have the results we will proceed to check this internally.

Please expect a response soon.

Best regards,

Maria R.

0 Kudos
jardineworks
Novice

Hey Maria —

Right, I thought it was weird that your latest response had the same advice as the first one :). Let me know if there is anything else I can provide you to help with your research. I look forward to hearing back soon. 

Thanks!

aj.

0 Kudos
jardineworks
Novice

Hey Maria, 

I've managed to solve the issue. This is a new installation of Ubuntu and while I was trying to get the bluetooth and the wireless adapter working I was cycling through several versions of Ubuntu (and actually several distros of Linux as well). Over the weekend I thought perhaps upgrading to 20.04 with the bluetooth drivers in place might resolve the issue so I went ahead and ran that process. After it completed and I restarted the machine the bluetooth issue was resolved. So it looks like everything is working (or at least these two things are working) the way I had hoped.

Thanks for your time. I'll report back if I have any further issues. 

0 Kudos
Maria_R_Intel

Hello jardineworks,

We are glad to know you found a solution, thank you for taking the time to share this fix, and hopefully, it may help other community members experiencing similar behavior. Since the thread is now solved, we will proceed to close it.

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Maria R.

0 Kudos