Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Upgrading my Wireless-N 2230 single band to a dual band in my laptop

Michael5
Beginner

Hi,

I have an Alienware laptop 2012 model M18xR2 which has an Intel(R) Centrino(R) Wireless-N 2230 single band fitted.

I previously had a Killer wireless Killer Wireless-N 1103 dual band that failed after a few years so refitted the original Wireless-N 2230.

I would like to upgrade to a Dualband 2.4 to 5GHz wireless card  preferably with bluetooth to suit my laptop not sure if an AC card would also be worth fitting as I have an AC Modem Router or just stay with the 802.11b/g/n mixed standard

See also photo attached with the old Killer wireless card fitted showing the wiring (3 wire configuration)

Looking forward to a good solutionALIENWARE WIRELESS CARD ADAPTER WIRING.jpg

Michael5

0 Kudos
23 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

It is important to clean install the driver packages for the new card. Use this process:

1. Make sure you have latest Wireless and Bluetooth drivers for your new adapter on the system. Don't install yet. 
  2. Make sure Internet is disconnected. Unplug Ethernet cable and/or disable wireless.
  3. Uninstall the Wireless and Bluetooth driver packages.
  4. Shutdown system.
  5. Uninstall old card.
  6. Install new card.
  7. Power on and boot up the system.
  8. Install the Bluetooth package.
  9. Install the Wireless package.
  10. Reboot
  11. Reconnect Internet.
  12. Test.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
Michael5
Beginner

Hi Scott,

I have ordered the AC7260 from China, will wait until it gets here then will install as to your instructions.

Will let you know how I go with the install.

Many thanks for your help with this...

Michael

0 Kudos
Jose_V_Intel

Hello Michael5,

Due to this product being discontinued, Intel Customer Service no longer supports inquiries for it, I am glad to see that fellow community members have the knowledge and they jumped in and helped. You may also find the Discontinued Products (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/discontinued-products.html) website helpful to address your request.

Please keep in mind that this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel. Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Jose V.

Intel® Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos