Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7726 Discussions

WI-FI device can be connected to Wi-Fi network group & Wi-Fi Direct devices at the same time

RatheeshT
Beginner

Hi Technical Team,

I need your support on selection of WI-FI chip/product.

When i am searching internet about "connecting a wi-fi device to a regular Wi-Fi network and Wi-Fi Direct devices at the same time", I found the below points/statement (see the below yellow highlighted portions in the screenshot) from the below url

RatheeshT_1-1666167669454.png

https://www.wi-fi.org/knowledge-center/faq/can-a-device-simultaneously-connect-to-a-regular-wi-fi-network-and-a-group-of#:~:text=Some%20devices%20certified%20under%20the,Fi%20Direct%2Dcertified%20group).

but it is not giving/guiding me the correct understanding for product selection.

My question is 

1. is it possible a device to connect WI-FI network and WI-FI direct at the same time?

2. is any WI-FI chip/product already available in the market to satisfy my requirements? If yes please give the product/chip part number/name. 

Please help on this to proceed further.

Advanced thanks.

Regards,

RatheeshT

0 Kudos
2 Replies
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello RatheeshT, 

Thank you for the information provided 

I will proceed to check the issue internally and post back soon with more details. 

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello RatheeshT, 

Thanks for your patience. As you noticed in the article shared, all devices certified under the Wi-Fi Direct program allow the user to connect to an infrastructure or a Wi-Fi Direct network. Some devices certified under the Wi-Fi Direct program support connections to both an infrastructure network and a Wi-Fi Direct group at the same time (e.g. a laptop may support an infrastructure connection while also belonging to a Wi-Fi Direct-certified group). Simultaneous connection to a Wi-Fi Direct group and an infrastructure network is an optional feature.

However, we don't advise recommending specific hardware as that has to comply with regulations and must be checked by the manufacturer of the laptop. I recommend you check if the feature is included on the laptop or computer that you want to buy with the manufacturer to get further information.

Please keep in mind that this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel.  

Regards, 

Deivid A.  

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos