Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RHARR25
Beginner

What is the best upgrade for an Intel Dual Band Wireless-N 7260, Model 7260NGW AN. From an Acer S-7 392? Thank you!!!

Bought Intel Wireless AC 9260

installs okay. but asks to be turned on.

There is no hardware way to turn it on.

Respectfully,

Royal 907-301-0008

0 Kudos
10 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

What do you mean it asks to be turned on?

RHARR25
Beginner

A most excellent question. AC 9260 installed, software installs no glitches. But the card will not turn on. in settings I am unable to turn it on. Not related to airplane mode which I can toggle on and off from the keyboard.

I saw a mention of AC 9260 being able to work if I were to clear tape pins 56 and 57. The writers description of the pins did not match the AC 9260 on either side. So that also did not work. I presume the AC 9260 NFGG has added a feature for a hardware switch to enable or disable that the Acer S-7 392 does not support. That's what I mean be "the card will not turn on" in settings.

Thank you for taking a peak. I know I shouldn't be trying to upgrade such an old notebook, but I still like it.

Respectfully,

Royal

n_scott_pearson

There is absolutely nothing like that in/on this card or its drivers.

Wait a minute, something is not right here... This is a laptop with a 4th gen processor (i7-4500U/i5-4250U or something similar), right? If so, M.2 connectors did not exist back then; only the mini-PCIe (a.k.a. M.1) connectors existed. There is no version of the Dual Band Wireless-AC 9260 that comes in the M.2 configuration; it only came in the M.2 configuration. This means that the best possible solution for this laptop is the Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260.HMW (here: https://www.amazon.com/Intel-7260-HMWG-R-Wireless-AC-Network-adapter/dp/B00MV3N7UO).

...S

RHARR25
Beginner

Acer Aspire S-7 392 is 7th gen Intel I-7.

I believe you are right that the 9260 just will not work.

I will order a Intel Wireless AC 7260NGW NGFF. Hope that will work.

The link goes to a mini-PCIe and that won't fit the Acer MB.

Thank you,

Royal

RHARR25
Beginner

Clearly I misspoke 4th Gen I-7

Sorry

n_scott_pearson

Ok, now you are confusing me. Which is it? The link you provided is for the M.2 version, the Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260.NGW, not the Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260.HMW that my link pointed to.

• If you have a 4th gen processor, then your laptop likely has a mini-PCIe (M.1) connector. In this case, the Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260.HMW is the best Intel card available for M.1 connectors. It supports 867Mb/s and Bluetooth 4.0.

• If you have a 7th gen processor, on the other hand, then your laptop will have a Type E M.2 connector. In this case, you want one of the following:

1. The Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260.NGW M.2 card supports 867Mb/s Wireless-AC and Bluetooth 4.0.
    1. The Dual Band Wireless-AC 9260 M.2 card supports 1733Mb/s Wireless-AC and Bluetooth 5.1
    2. The Intel WiFi 6 AX200 M.2 card supports 2400Mb/s Wireless-AX, WiFi 6 and Bluetooth 5.1.

...S

RHARR25
Beginner

For certain, and I am looking at it, the card is the Dual Band Wireless-H 7260.NGW NGFF. I am learning that the form is M.2 but I know it as NGFF.

That is what I'm replacing.

The Dual Band Wireless-AC 9260 M.2 card supports 1733Mb/s Wireless-AC and Bluetooth 5.1 that I bought and installed had the "turn on the wifi" error message. Alas I can't turn in on in settings whatsoever. It gets installed but never looks for a wifi network. Windows thinks its turned off via hardware. If the error message is even indicative of the issue.

So I'm dialing it back to try for the:

The Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260.NGW M.2 card supports 867Mb/s Wireless-AC and Bluetooth 4.0.

Which I have on order.

Best regards,

Royal

n_scott_pearson

But this is essentially replacing the original card, not upgrading it. I am of the opinion that you got a bad 9260 card. You should return it for replacement.

...S

P.S. Check out https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M.2.

RHARR25
Beginner

The replace would be Wireless N to Wireless AC.

I hadn't thought of that about the card being bad. Hmm. . . . .

Okay, I have a couple things to try.

Thank you,

Royal