Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7429 Discussions

Wi-Fi 6 AX200 Card Exhibits Weak Bluetooth Signal

LSuarez
Beginner

I purchased an MSI MPG B550 Gaming Edge WiFi motherboard with a Wi-Fi 6 AX200 module pre-installed in the M.2 (Key-E) slot. I haven't really thought to use it much since installing my new motherboard as it has a LAN connection until just recently. I've been attempting to use my Bluetooth module for calls and headphone audio recently and to my dismay, while my devices will pair and connect, the signal is extremely weak and spotty no matter what Bluetooth service is being utilized. Calls can't understand me and music streams for fractions of a second while going silent for many more. I've installed the latest Bluetooth drivers and ensured connectivity of the module antennae to the back panel ports. My Wi-Fi connectivity seems to behave more or less normally. What should I investigate to improve Bluetooth performance?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Khun_Doug
Valued Contributor I

LSuarez,

Your symptoms sound like there is something wrong with the Bluetooth radio antenna. In other words, I think you aren't able to get enough signal between the adapter and your bluetooth devices. Does the laptop have some type of mechanism for connecting antennas to the adapter? I have two desktop PCs with AX200 and both have external antennas.

0 Kudos
LSuarez
Beginner
Khun_Doug,
As I mentioned, I've ensured the external antennae are securely connected to the rear of the case panel. This is installed on a desktop ATX motherboard M.2 E slot and WiFi connectivity seems normal.
0 Kudos
Khun_Doug
Valued Contributor I

LSuarez,

Try swapping the antenna lines and see what happens. And what happens if you get close to the antenna with the headphones (that would confirm a signal strength issue)? Have you looked inside the case to be sure the antenna lines are connected to the M.2?

0 Kudos
LSuarez
Beginner
Khun_Doug,

The WiFi card is actually flush against the rear port panel and connected directly to the motherboard there as well. It's not really possible to make any of those changes as there are no internal lines. Swapping external antennae does little, and the signal is barely functional near the source, although maybe slightly improved.
0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello LSuarez

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you need further assistance. Please do not hesitate to contact us back if you have additional inquiries.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello LSuarez

We have not heard back from you so we will proceed to close this thread now. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos