Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7437 Discussions

Wi-Fi connection problem after driver update

BEdmu
Beginner

This was the problem earlier today​:  I updated the driver for my Wireless adapter and could then no longer connect to the internet or the router. It didn't matter whether I used Windows to update the driver or the Intel driver update utility - the result was the same.

I checked the situation using the Android ASUS mobile app while the problem was occurring and it confirmed what the Windows troubleshooter was saying, i.e. that my laptop didn't have a valid IP address (the mobile app just showed a blank for where the IP address would normally appear). When I rolled back the driver, everything returned to normal. Another strange thing is, although I have rolled back the driver, the Intel update utility is still saying that the driver is up-to-date. I've uploaded the Windows error report from the troubelshooter and also the Inter detailed report in case these are helpful in diagnosing the problem.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello BEdmu,

Thank you for submitting your question on this Intel® Community.

If you are using the Intel® Driver & Support Assistant (Intel® DSA) to install the wireless driver, we recommend that you try to perform a clean installation of the driver.

Step 1: Get the latest system-specific driver.

Note: We were unable to find the latest Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) driver for your computer. Try the following generic drivers for testing purposes.

• Windows® 10 Wi-Fi Drivers for Intel® Wireless Adapters Version: 21.60.2
  • Intel® Wireless Bluetooth® for Windows® 10 Version: 21.60.0

Step 2: Uninstall the Wi-Fi and Bluetooth drivers.

Windows* may have an inbox Wi-Fi driver for your wireless adapter. You can't uninstall an inbox driver (you won't see the "Delete the driver software for this device" option). Proceed to the next step if you start seeing the same version of the driver installed automatically after it’s uninstalled.

1. Go to Device Manager.
  2. Expand the Network Adapters category.
  3. Right-click your Intel Wireless Adapter/Bluetooth and choose to uninstall it.
  4. Make sure to select the option to Delete the driver software for this device.
  5. Restart your computer.

Step 3: Driver installation.

Locate the driver you downloaded back in Step 1. Run as administrator, and follow the wizard to completion.

Wanner G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
BEdmu
Beginner

Thanks for your detailed troubleshooting reply. However, the problem seems to have cleared itself because the Driver and Support Assistant is telling me that everything is up-to-date and yet I now have normal internet connectivity, or at least that seems to be the case. I'll keep the notes you kindly provided for me and if I have any further issues, I'll run through the procedures you have outlined. Once again, thank you very much for your assistance.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello BEdmu,

Thank you for your response.

We are glad to know that the connectivity issues were resolved. 

We will close this inquiry. If the same problem persists, just update this thread.

Regards,

Wanner G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos