Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7429 Discussions

WiFi 6 AX200 dropped connection issues

JanaSol
Beginner

Hello, I have been using a new computer I bought about a month ago from Lenovo which came with that specific Wi-Fi chip installed on the motherboard. At random intervals throughout use it has had the issue where it will just drop connection to my router. I'm pretty sure it isn't my router, since no other devices I have have had this issue, it's only been on this one. It's a proprietary  motherboard I think, so I'm not sure what its name. I have tried messing with the drivers to try a more restricted connection with no success, I've tried a new driver as well with no success.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
JanaSol
Beginner

Regarding this issue, I have had the connection drop 6 times today while using my computer. I have also attached an SSU file as I've seen several threads where those are needed.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello @JanaSol

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. In order to check this further, could you please confirm the following details:

1- Just to make sure that we understand correctly, is this issue happening since the very first day that you have the computer?

If yes, do you remember if this issue happened after a new Windows update or Wireless/Bluetooth driver update?

2- When the issue happens, does it reconnect automatically? How long does it take to reconnect?

3- Is there any error message when this happens? Do you see any error code or error message under Device Manager >> Network Adapters >> Intel® Wireless Adapter >> Properties?

4- For testing purposes, have you tried a different router or Access point? Maybe one that is AX compatible? Have you rebooted your access-point, router, modem? Please provide details.

5- Have you checked if this happens testing only the computer and the router? (no other wireless devices connected to the wireless network during this test).

6- Router / Access point brand, model, and firmware version:

7- How far are you from the router? Are there any objects/walls blocking a straight sight to the device or anything that may be causing interference (e.g. wireless phones, microwaves, etc.)?

8- Is the behavior occurring with both Wireless bands? (2.4GHz and 5GHz?)

9- Are you using VPN software or do you have Virtual Machines guests running on the computer (sharing the network adapter)?

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
JanaSol
Beginner

Okay, so here's where it gets weird. I have had no problems with it today. I tried a system restore yesterday in case anything I did may have messed with it. But, to answer your questions.

1: No, it started randomly about 5 days ago

2: No, it does not reconnect, I have to manually reconnect it

3: No errors were reported during any point of prior troubleshooting

4: I have not had the chance to test on a different router, but I did ensure to update its firmware and reboot yesterday as well

5: I have not isolated the network to only those two devices, but no other device seemed to have this issue

6: Not exactly sure, but it's a generic AT&T router, only about 6 months old

7: There are several walls between me and the router, but it has never dramatically affected performance on any other device

8: Yes, on both bands

9: I am using a virtual lan link for a couple devices

I don't really know whether or not it's fixed, so any advice on it would be nice in the event that it does start happening again.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello JanaSol

Thank you for your response. We understand that after doing a system restore you have had no issues so far. Just to make sure, the restore was a "System Restore to factory settings/state" or did you mean a "Windows® restore point".

Regarding your inquiries, since the two major changes were the system restore and updating the Router and rebooting it, it could be possible that there was an issue related to them and the wireless card that was managed with the troubleshooting you performed. (or perhaps there was an improvement with the router firmware and fully operational until the rebooting...).

Also, we would like to know if the wireless card is still working fine?

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
JanaSol
Beginner

It was a windows restore point, and the issue with the losing connection is gone, however I will still get periodic spikes of high latency/low connection speed that last about 30 seconds to a minute at a time. Otherwise, the wireless card seems to be working just like when I bought it. Is there anything I could do to try to remove those, the main problem has been fixed, but that's still a minor annoyance. Still, thank you for your help.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello JanaSol

Thank you for your response.

We are glad to know that the main problem has been fixed and the losing connection issue is gone.

Regarding your concern about the spikes of high latency/low connection speed, you may try to verify the usage of the channel and see if it is possible to use a different not saturated channel. There are different tools available on the web for this purpose.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
Khun_Doug
Valued Contributor I

Do the periods of high latency occur randomly and seem to correct themselves without manual intervention? Do you experience symptoms such as streaming services stop or stutter and then after some period of time they continue, but only stutter some time later? Do you notice that a large download may move along at normal speed for your Internet connection and then suddenly stop, but then pickup and continue on?

At the university I retired from there was a piece of network equipment that interfaced between the campus LAN and the WAN, and the Windows TCP stack had trouble with intermittent high latency beginning with Windows 7 and continuing with every version after. The problem was traced to the Windows TCP stack dynamically changing the receive window. The solution was really very simple and ended being done on every laptop and desktop that needed the campus LAN. You can try this to see if your problem is resolved. The changes can always be returned to the previous state. Open a CMD prompt with Administrator privilege. Then enter:

netsh int tcp set global autotuning=disable

Try that for a while and see how your network connection functions. You can return this to the Windows default value by entering:

netsh int tcp set global autotuning=normal

My personal experience is that this isn't needed with my cable modem. However, it did help performance while I was using a DSL connection.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello JanaSol

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you need further assistance.

Were you able to try the suggestions provided by Khun_Doug?

Please do not hesitate to contact us back if you have additional inquiries.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello JanaSol

We have not heard back from you so we will proceed to close this thread now. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Since the issue seemed to be related to router/AP configuration (the firmware update and the router rebooted seemed to have an improvement), then if you are still getting issues we recommend contacting the router/AP manufacturer for router configuration recommendations.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos