Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7429 Discussions

WiFi AX210 doesn't work with WPA-3 Personal, only OWE seems to work.

bpavlich
Novice

I can connect the AX210 to an ASUS WiFi 6E router using Opportunistic Wireless Encryption (OWE).  I cannot connect to the 6 GHz SSID when the Access Point is set to WPA-3 Personal Encryption.  A Galaxy S21 will connect to the AP though. 

I see an "X" in the WiFi symbol next to the SSID at 6 GHz when I show available networks when WPA-3 is selected.  I would like to figure out how to use WPA-3 Personal encryption.

I also have a different AP that uses WPA-3 and I get the same "X" in the WiFi SSID symbol.  Error message is always "Cannot connect to network".

I have installed an OKN WiFi 6E AX210 PCIE WiFi Card Expands Wi-Fi into 6GHz, 5400Mbps Tri-Bands 802.11AX Wireless Adapter with Bluetooth 5.2, OFDMA,MU-MIMO, Ultra-Low Latency, Support Windows 10 (64bit) only.

I am running an E31 Lenovo ThinkStation.

Windows 20H2, 21343.1000.

Driver Version, 22.30.0.11

3 Replies
Bal-
Novice

Hey,

Unfortunately still no reply on this issue.

According to Microsoft, WPA3 is supported in Windows 10 2004 for Wi-Fi 6 (although it doesn't specifically mention Wi-Fi 6E, WPA3 does not work on Wi-Fi 6 either with the AX210) and it's been confirmed to work with other Intel modules on both Windows 10 and Linux kernel 5.10+. One has to assume it's an Intel driver issue, and not an OS issue.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/faster-and-more-secure-wi-fi-in-windows-10-26177a28-38ed-1a8e-7eca-66f24dc63f09

This was highlighted in my other Intel post here. AX210 Poor Wi-Fi 6E 6GHz performance / WPA3-Personal Not Working on Windows10

It's very disappointing the AX210 has been out for 4+ months and we still do not have working WPA3. The AX210 is advertised as WPA3 compatible and has "Full support for latest Microsoft Windows 10* OS." according to Intel's Product Brief . Hopefully Intel is listening.

The WPA3 / poor Wi-Fi 6E signal issue has been posted on both the ASUS Community and Netgear Community as well.

@bpavlich Which Wi-Fi 6E router/ap are you using, the Netgear RAXE500 or ASUS GT-AXE500 ? What sort of speeds / signal are you seeing compared to the Wi-Fi 6 5GHz AX band?

0 Kudos
bpavlich
Novice

ASUS WiFi 6E Gaming Router (ROG Rapture GT-AXE11000) - Tri-Band 10 Gigabit Wireless Router.   I don't have any speeds to report.

0 Kudos
Maria_R_Intel

Hello bpavlich,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

We noticed that you have contacted Intel® Customer Support directly regarding the same issue here described and we found out that you have an internal support case open. In this case, we will proceed to close this thread to avoid duplication of effort and the support will continue through the internal case.

Best regards,

Maria R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos