Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7422 Discussions

WiFi(Killer WiFi AX210) doesn't work on Ubuntu 20.04.2 from the get go

jazz_17
Novice

I have MSI GS66 Stealth and the WiFi doesn't work on it from the get go.It says that no WifI adapter is found. I have dual booted the system with Windows 10 and the internet works fine on Windows.

Following is some of the information that could help you to understand the issue better.

1. Wireless Adapter: Intel® Wi-Fi 6E AX210 160MHz (Pre-installed when bought)

2. Laptop: MSI GS66 Stealth

3. OS: dual-booting with Windows 10 and Ubuntu20.04.02

4. Kernel version (#uname -r): 5.11.0-43-generic

5. Wireless performance on different OS: wifi works fine on Windows 10, but only on Ubuntu, from the get-go, it does not.

6. Other settings: disabled the "fast-boot" option on Windows

disabled the "secure boot" from grub

7. Logs from useful commands

# rfkill list

0: hci0: Bluetooth
Soft blocked: no
Hard blocked: no

# modinfo iwlwifi

Please check the attached log file named modinfo.log

# lsmod | grep iwlwifi

returns nothing

# sudo lshw -C network

*-network UNCLAIMED
description: Network controller
product: Intel Corporation
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:30:00.0
version: 1a
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress msix cap_list
configuration: latency=0
resources: memory:84200000-84203fff
*-network
description: Ethernet interface
physical id: 2
bus info: usb@3:2
logical name: usb0
serial: 46:e1:9e:e4:65:18
capabilities: ethernet physical
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=rndis_host driverversion=5.11.0-43-generic firmware=RNDIS device ip=192.168.42.38 link=yes multicast=yes

# dmesg

Please check the attached log file named dmesg.log

# dmesg | grep iwlwifi

returns nothing

I have followed the instructions given on https://community.intel.com/t5/Wireless/No-Wi-Fi-Adapter-Found-Intel-AX210-on-Ubuntu-20-04/m-p/1295890#M36640 but with no effect. Kindly look into it as soon as possible, I have deliverables that depend on working of wifi on Ubuntu.

Best

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
jazz_17
Novice

Hi Josue O. Intel,

I found out that AX210 is not supported by the kernel version 5.11 which I was using and is supported by kernel 5.13. I am using an external wireless card and it works with Ubuntu 20.04.

Thanks for the help!

Best,

jazz_17

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
whoiswho
Beginner

I have a same issue with wifi on my laptop:

1. Wireless Adapter: Intel® Wi-Fi 6E AX210 160MHz (Pre-installed when bought)

2. Laptop: Lenovo T14 Gen 2

3. OS: Ubuntu 20.04.03

4. Kernel version (#uname -r): 5.11.0-43-generic

I Tried to install Ubuntu 21 and the wifi was working fine but it is not detect when I reinstall ubuntu 20.04.03.

The problem is my software use for my work not work properly on ubuntu 21 so I must install ubuntu 20 and need wifi to work.

Please help me a solution.

Thanks and regards

JosueO_Intel

Hello jazz_17

Thank you for posting on the Intel communities. In order to have a better understanding of the issue, please share with us the following information: 

1. Was it working before?
  2. Driver version you are using. 

Also, please download and install the Intel System Support Utility (Intel SSU):

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18895/26735/intel-system-support-utility-for-the-linux-operating-system.html

Open the application and select "Everything" click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel SSU will take you to the "Summary View". Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".  

Click on "Next", save the report and attach it to your response.

Regarding the inquiries of whoiswho, please create a new thread in order for us to be able to assist you in the best possible way, remember to add all the details so that we can try to find a solution as fast as possible. 

Regards, 

Josue O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
jazz_17
Novice

Hi Josue_O_Intel,

Thanks for getting back to me!

I'll answer the questions you've asked below:

1. Was it working before? - No, the wifi doesn't work from the get go. I'm using usb tethering to use my mobile internet on my laptop.

2. Driver version you are using. - Currently I'm using the firmware given here for Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX210 160MHz, Kernel 5.10+ and iwlwifi-ty-59.601f3a66.0.tgz I've followed the instructions given on that page and I have renamed the .pnvm file in /lib/firmware as suggested here

3. A strange issue I'm facing that could be the problem is that kernel module after doing lspci -knn doesn't show iwlwifi in Kernel Modules for the wifi, just wl. What could be the workaround for that ?

I'm attaching the scan results, however please check the screenshot also.

Please let me know if anything else is required.

Best,

jazz_17

0 Kudos
whoiswho
Beginner

Hello,

I tried to install Intell SSU but the ubuntu 20.04.03 not support it.

1. Was it working before? Yes, my laptop is brand new with windows activated. It's wifi work well.

2. Driver version you are using: I think it not detect wifi so I don't know what driver version is using. I found in /usr/lib/firmware have rtw88 and rtw89 folders. Hope this info help for you.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello jazz_17

Thank you for the information provided.  

I will proceed to check the issue internally and post back soon with more details. 

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello jazz_17

We were trying to open the log files provided on the first post, however, we are unable to do it. Please share the files again with us in order to try to open them and analyze what could be causing the issue. 

Regards, 

Josue O.  

jazz_17
Novice

Hi Josue O. Intel,

I found out that AX210 is not supported by the kernel version 5.11 which I was using and is supported by kernel 5.13. I am using an external wireless card and it works with Ubuntu 20.04.

Thanks for the help!

Best,

jazz_17

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello jazz_17

Thank you for the information provided, I am glad to hear that you have found a solution and you are now able to use the system without issues. 

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored. 

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello jazz_17

In this case, we recommend you to keep checking the distro website for updates and more information since the compatibility with the kernel can only be confirmed by them. They also provide the drivers and firmware to ensure the proper functioning of the adapter on their OS. 

Hope this information is useful, if you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored. 

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos