Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7438 Discussions

WiFi connection crash upon access to router NAS

idata
Employee

It is about WiFi client, Vista 32Bits running on Asus V1S with Intel WiFi 4965AGN, driver latest version.

Connected to FritzBox 7390 router via WLAN, 5.2GHz. An external USB disk is connected to this router.

Router provides also some internal RAM/flash as NAS.

Client connects to this NAS through Microsoft Printer- and Filesharing.

Initially all is fine. Client boots up and connects to router.

It can connect to internet and connect to routers internal NAS.

But if user tries to copy some file from internal NAS to local disk

the WLAN connection crashes after about 1 minute.

Router is no more available. Internet connection does not work any more.

Reset of client is necessary to restore.

After the problem occurs some other WiFi client has no problems to communicate with router, its NAS and internet.

So, the client in focus seems to be definitely faulty.

Issue reproducible also if to access to USB external disk connected to router and available for clients as NAS.

There were no probs when FritzBox 7270 did the job in this network few months ago instead of addressed FB 7390.

Described problem did never occure while just working in internet.

Sometimes it is sufficient enough just to point with mouse cursor onto icons of files placed on NAS

in order to run into the described troubles.

What can be the possible reason of these probs?

How to fix it?

How to figure the root cause?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi opopopoo

Just to understand the whole picture here, you have an Asus V1S with Intel WiFi 4695AGN, trying to connect to the "FritzBox 7390" Router with NAS, correct?

Now, let me quote you on something:

Described problem did never occure while just working in internet.

Sometimes it is sufficient enough just to point with mouse cursor onto icons of files placed on NAS

in order to run into the described troubles.

If this behavior presents only using the "FritzBox 7390" NAS portion, there's a possibility that a router firmware upgrade might change things a bit, as this seems to be a problem with the way the router is handling clients accesing the external storage, and how it resolves access to users.

If you had a driver / software issue with the Intel(R) WiFi 4695AGN card, your internet access with that system would be affected as well, but this is not the case. Just in case, contacting the computer manufacturer for driver updates is also recommended.

Fritz* Support downloads can be found at this link: http://www.avm.de/en/Download/index.php3?js=enabled http://www.avm.de/en/Download/index.php3?js=enabled Cheers!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks for your hints.

I generally aim to have all my systems up to date, firmwares, os, other soft, etc.

So the router has surely the latest available firmware release.

Also drivers of WiFi module of the client is the latest one.

Your understanding of this situation is correct. The NAS is router internal (RAM or flash),

it not a NAS device attached via Ethernet to router. Second router NAS is used.

It is an USB external hdd attached to the router.

Internet access generally works fine.

I can forget getting help from laptop's vendor. His/Her name is Asus and

he/she stopped updating soft and drivers for this model a long time ago.

Laptop was purchased in 2007.

One observation I have made in the meantime shows that this must be

a fault of client. Why do I claim it? On the same laptop I started some Linux

live-DVD. And this linux system does not have the probs as Vista installation on this laptop.

Do you have any idea?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

In the initial message it was reported that the problem does not occur if to have connection to internet only.

In the meantime it turned out it is not true. If to try to make a file download (through http) of some MBs

the wifi connection drops down as well.

Recently the root reason was found.

Device driver for Intel 4965 AGN while the problems were reproducible

came from the 14.x Intel WiFi Proset Software Package.

It means the driver was released some when in the year 2010.

To fix the problems the roll-back to device driver from 11.x Intel WiFi Software package was done.

That means the device driver release is from some when in 2007.

Now, the WiFi connection works fine. No drop downs can be observed.

However, limited number of tests were performed. The near future will show if problems are really solved.

Driver release from 2007 is quite old, it might be buggy.

- What are the known bugs of device driver version from Intel WiFi Proset software package 11.x?

- What is the latest driver version/release working well on Vista 32Bits (Intel WiFi 4965 AGN)?

- Why the latest available Proset version for Vista on Intel Wireless download web is 13.x?

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Hello opopopoo,

The latest Vista 32-bit driver package for the Intel® Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN is 14.3.0 and it is linked here:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=21029 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=21029

Please note some components will not update to version 14.3 but will remain with the latest version supported for such adapter and operating system.

Also note the list of bugs/fixes is not publicly available. The driver is expected to work properly; however, you may consider staying with the currently working driver if the same occurs, as your issue is more specific.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Sorry, it is a big misunderstanding.

As mentioned previously the driver which caused problems came even from the 14.x package.

I double checked it a minute ago, exactly said it was driver from 14.3.0.6.

I doubt it is rather specific. If to do a web search lot of people complain

severe problems with Intel driver; do not remember now the exact version.

My question is still open and valid

What are the known bugs of device driver version from Intel WiFi Proset software package 11.x?

What is the latest driver version/release working well on Vista 32Bits (Intel WiFi 4965 AGN)?

Nobody than Intel will know the best answers. Otherwise they are no worth the acceptance on customers side.

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Please accept our apologies since we are not able to provide such information at this time.

I would like to suggest you the following thread:

/thread/6030?start=30&tstart=0 http://communities.intel.com/thread/6030?start=30&tstart=0

0 Kudos