Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Wifi Events

SNirm
Beginner

Hello

I've Intel 5350 Wifi card on T400 running Windows 7 64-bit - Driver - 13.4.0.139. Looking at the Wifi event log, I see this error

DeviceIoCtrlS24NDIS: (2) Failed to send OID 0xff100055 to driver. Error - 31

DeviceIoCtrlS24NDIS - Dot11ExtNicSpecificExtension failed (31)

Does anyone know what these errors mean?

Thanks

0 Kudos
8 Replies
idata
Employee

samnirmal,

Other than this error message, are you being able to connect and navigate on the Internet?

There could be many reason as to why this error message might occur. It could be either related to hardware or software problems. We were wondering if you could check the antivirus and firewall configuration and/or settings.

Our first recommendation is to check with the http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/topics/OEMs.html computer manufacturer if they have any available driver update and then, after updating, check again and see if the error still shows.

Please let us know if the driver update corrected this error message.
0 Kudos
SNirm
Beginner

Yes, the internet connection works however I see a drop in the signal strength like from 99% to 80% and the statistics shows 4% transmit errors.

I've Symantec AV and firewall configured. I don't know what should I check specifically. I've the latest Lenovo driver installed.

So what do these errors mean?

Thanks

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

samnirmal,

Sporadic dropdowns are expected depending on the activity in your network and the amount of devices connected to it considering what each one of them are doing and the applications and processes running silently in the background.

As for this error, we are going to check it and will get back to you as soon as possible. In the mean time, please let us know if there is any additional piece of information regarding this specific error you deem relevant for us to know.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

samnirmal,

We would like to inform you that we are checking about this error message in roder to provide you the best answer possible. As soon as we a result we will advise. In the meantime, should you have any further questions, please let us know.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Samnirmal,

Thank you for your time. Now, replying to your question abouot the error, it indicates that the network driver interface was not able to complete an operation on the adapter. This does not imply you're going to lose your signal as wireless adapter is designed to correct such errors. This may cause some data loss but will not interrupt your connectivity.

Intel recommends to always maintain the wireless drivers updated. Please make sure that such updates are from your computer manufacturer or, as a second option, to use our generic drivers found in this link: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/22116 Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers for Windows 7* - Driver version 15.3.1 - *Please, disregard the yellow stripe indicating there is a newr version as the that is justa reminder for other adapter models.

Just bear in mind that a drop in the signal quality and even some transmit errors can be expected in WiFi connections, specially in environments with sources of interference or as the distance to the access point increases. Sporadic signal drops and moderate interference normally don't cause WiFi devices to lose connectivity completely.

Here are the recommended settings that might help you improve your experience: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking/000005544.html?wapkw=intel+wi-fi+recommended+settings Recommended Settings for 802.11n Connectivity

Please let us know if this helped you.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Samnirmal,

It has been a while since we sent you the information above and so far there is no registration of any reply from you, with that being said, we would like to know if you still need our support. Please let us know as soon as possible.
0 Kudos
SNirm
Beginner

The reply makes sense and I'll take it as an answer to my question. Thank you very much!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

samnirmal,

You are welcome! We will be here any time you need us. Thank you for your posts.
0 Kudos