Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Wifi Range and Connection Issue after 10-9-2020 Update

ecidonex
Beginner

Hello everyone

Hoping to get some help.

I have an HP Spectre x360 Convertible 13-at0XX laptop with a Intel Dual Band Wifeless-AC 8265 Wifi Adapter 

I am running WIndows 10 Home 

All was going fine until 10/10/20 when I installed

1) a "Feature Update for Windows KB4671756", 

2) KB4576478 2020-09 Cumulative Update for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8 for Windows 10 Version 2004 for x64. 

and 

3) KB4577266: Security Update for Microsoft Windows 

After this, the WiFi adapter sees my home network with a very weak signal, even next to the router.

I live in an urban area, and usually there are a dozen other Wifi SSIDs visible, but now I can only see mine and my next-door neighbor's.

I have checked the following 

1. Have reset the router and upgraded the firmware. Have also confirmed that no other device in the home is having WIfi issues

2. I plugged in a USB Wifi Adapter and using this, the network seems to have full strength and I can see all the networks in my neighborhood as before, which makes me think this is not a problem with on the ISP or the router end at all, or with the User Profile for that individual network 

I have tried to (guided by common sense and also by https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/10741/windows-fix-network-connection-issues) 

1. Update the network adapter's driver (there are none new available)

2. refresh and renew the network adapter and flush the DNS using CMD

3. Disable and Re-enable the network adapter

4. Uninstall the network adapter along with the driver and restart

5. Restart WLAN Autoconfig service

6. Uninstall one update at a time (except the security update which could not be uninstalled)

7. Restore to the latest available restore point (which I think was just before the updates)

Hoping someone on this forum might have something else to try other than the above steps - I collected the above steps from the numerous threads on this topic, so hoping that someone here can point me to another idea

Or is this likely to be a hardware issue, and is there any way to tell for sure? 

Thanks!

0 Kudos
17 Replies
AndrewG_Intel

Hello ecidonex

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

In order to check this further, could you please provide the following information?

1. Is the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 the original wireless adapter that came pre-installed in your system or did you install/integrate it on the laptop?
  2. Are you having issues with Wi-Fi only or with Bluetooth too (both)?
  3. Have you tried a roll back to a previous driver version for testing?
  4. Besides the range issue, are you experiencing any other problem with the networks you are able to see? For instance, connectivity or speed problems?
  5. Router/Access point brand, model, and firmware version:
  6. Do you see any error message or error code? For instance, in the Windows® notification area or in Device Manager?

Also, please run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) and attach the report to this thread to gather more details about your system.

1. Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-
  2. Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".
  3. To save your scan, click Next and click Save.

Note: To attach a file, you must click the “Attach” option on the bottom left-hand corner of the response box.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Considering the revelations regarding Microsoft's responsibility for wireless connectivity issues (see: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/windows-10-kb4577063-update-fixes-internet-connectivity-wsl2-issues/), I would install the latest updates and then test again.

Just saying,

...S

0 Kudos
ecidonex
Beginner

Thanks - good advice (and I am sure it may be WIndows' fault) - I tried updating to this update and unfortunately it didn't change anything (the issue fixed in the update was related to LTE devices). 

0 Kudos
ecidonex
Beginner

Hi

Thanks for the reply. I answered each question here and also attached the output of the SSU. Unfortunately nothing has worked so far. 

1. Is the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 the original wireless adapter that came pre-installed in your system or did you install/integrate it on the laptop?

Yes it came pre-installed in my system. 
  2. Are you having issues with Wi-Fi only or with Bluetooth too (both)?

Good point - Bluetooth is also not working. not connecting to any of my known devices. I hadn't even thought to check that before. 

3. Have you tried a roll back to a previous driver version for testing?

Yes - I rolled back to Jan 2020 driver and that didn't do anything so I updated again. I'll add that to my post. 
  4. Besides the range issue, are you experiencing any other problem with the networks you are able to see? For instance, connectivity or speed problems?

When connected, speed test has been okay. But the range issue is so severe that even if I am 6 inches from the router it only has 1-2 bars and occasionally drops. 
  5. Router/Access point brand, model, and firmware version:

It's a Techincolor TC8717T modem/router, running firmware version 01.ED.04.38.00

6. Do you see any error message or error code? For instance, in the Windows® notification area or in Device Manager?

There is no error message in device manager or in the Windows notification area

Thanks - appreciate any ongoing help

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello ecidonex

Thank you for your response. Please review the following suggestiions:

1- Based on the report, the wireless card is connected to a network using the 802.11ac standard.

Please review and set the Recommended Settings for 802.11ac Connectivity >> https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000024678/network-and-i-o/wireless.html

Another option is to test with an 802.11n network and use the Recommended Settings for 802.11n Connectivity >> https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005544/network-and-i-o/wireless.html

2- Please test changing the power management options following the steps in the below link. For instance, you may try the Maximum Performance option.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005879/network-and-i-o/wireless.html

3- Play with the Roaming aggressiveness and Transmit power options in the Advanced Intel® Wireless Adapter Settings

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005585/network-and-i-o/wireless.html

4- If the issue persists after trying steps 1, 2 and 3, please try a clean install of the Wireless and Bluetooth drivers

4.1- Download the customized drivers from HP* website and save them on the computer: https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-spectre-13-ac000-x360-convertible-pc/14039877/model/14039878?sku=Y4P50AV

• Intel WLAN Driver 21.40.2.2 Rev.P
  • Intel Bluetooth Driver (we couldn't find any driver on that link for Bluetooth, please double check with HP support for the proper driver.

4.2- To avoid Windows® update reinstalling a different driver during the process, disconnect your computer from the Internet.

4.3- From Windows® Apps & Features, uninstall any instances of the Intel PROSet/Wireless Software (You may skip this step if you don't see Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software) and Intel Wireless Bluetooth. When prompted, choose to "Discard Settings".

4.4- Uninstall the Wireless and Bluetooth driver from Windows® Device Manager. Right-click the device and choose to uninstall it.

Make sure to select the option to Delete the driver software for this device. Repeat this step until the the option to Delete the driver software for this device is greyed out.

4.5- Restart the computer

4.6- Install Bluetooth driver and then Wireless driver.

Reconnect to the Internet and test. If the issue persists, you can repeat the clean installation steps using the latest Intel generic drivers>

Best regards,

Andrew G.

*Links to third-party sites and references to third-party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, Intel® is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third-party endorsement of Intel® or any of its products is implied.

0 Kudos
ecidonex
Beginner

Thanks again Andrew for the reply

I did try all these things and unfortunately it is the same situation.

I tried adjusting the various settings in the wifi card as you instructed but it still is not seeing most networks.

I also tried the clean installs of both - (notably, the drivers you recommended are also the same ones I already had installed, but anyway I uninstalled and re-installed them) but still no luck

Any other thoughts??

Thanks!

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello ecidonex

Thank you for your response.

Let's try the following to see if we can get a different driver to try to solve this behavior:

Please uninstall both Wireless and Bluetooth drivers following the previous clean install steps; however, in this case, let Windows® to automatically install the drivers.

If Windows® does not install drivers, please look for them using the option "Search automatically for updated driver software" from Device Manager (select the device,  then right-click and select update.)

Also, this is basic, but please check for sources of interference that may be affecting the wireless/band spectrum, for instance

• Cordless phones
  • Microwave ovens
  • Bluetooth® technology-enabled devices
  • And other devices working with radio frequencies.

Finally, since the issue started after some Windows® updates and since you already tried a restore point, do you have the possibility to try a fresh install of Windows® to see if this helps to solve the problem? We recommend contacting Microsoft® or HP* support for proper assistance with this task.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello ecidonex

We would like to know if you were able to review our previous post. Please do not hesitate to contact us back if you have additional inquiries.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello @ecidonex

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you need further assistance. If the answer is yes, we have two additional suggestions for you:

1- We have released a new driver version, we recommend performing a new clean install following the steps provided in previous posts. Here are the download links:

2- The latest version of Windows*, "Windows 10 October 2020 Update" Version 20H2 is now an official released. If you are willing to update, you may give it a try and test if this may help to solve the problem considering the issue was triggered after installing Windows updates on October 10th, 2020 (as you mentioned in your first post). For assistance with the update process, we recommend contacting your OEM or Microsoft® support for proper guidance.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Best regards,

Andrew G.

*Links to third-party sites and references to third-party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, Intel® is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third-party endorsement of Intel® or any of its products is implied.

0 Kudos
ecidonex
Beginner

Hi 

Thanks Andrew -

I did see your earlier post but I stopped short of doing the clean Windows install since that takes a whole free day!

But now that you tell me that there is a new update and new drivers, I will try each of those starting with the drivers and let you know if it worked

Shashi

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello @ecidonex

Thank you for your response.

Perfect!, please feel free to post back in the thread as soon as you have any feedback regarding the outcome of those recommendations.

Sincerely,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello ecidonex

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you need further assistance. Were you able to test with the latest drivers or with the latest version of Windows? Please do not hesitate to contact us back if you have additional inquiries.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
ecidonex
Beginner

Hi AndrewG

Unfortunately I tried to update the drivers and also no luck. I tried installing the October Preview updates via Windows update but that was not successful. I will try the upgrade that you linked to over this coming weekend and get back to you if it works. If not, then my next step likely will be a clean install when I have a free day to do that. (this is my only computer so it is hard to spare it on work days!)

Thanks

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello ecidonex

Thank you for your response and feedback.

Ok, we will be looking forward to hearing back from you to see if either performing the Windows® upgrade or a clean install of the operating system solves the issue. Please do not hesitate to contact us back if you have additional inquiries.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello ecidonex

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you were able to test either performing the Windows® upgrade or a clean install of the operating system.

If you need more time for this test and if you have a preferred follow-up schedule please let us know.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello ecidonex

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you need further assistance. In case no additional comments are posted, we will be closing this thread soon. Should you have additional concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us back.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello ecidonex

We have not heard back from you so we will proceed to close this thread now.

Our last recommendation is to take the system to your OEM, as this could be related to the operating system.

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer being monitored.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos