Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7441 Discussions

Wireless ax201 keeps drooping the wireless connection

A_N
Beginner

Hello Team,

I have laptop HP ZBOOK , with intel wireless adapter ax201 .

the wireless adapter keeps dropping the connection while connected to the home network (SOHO) router access point.

I have updated the driver to version 22.40.0.7, and updated the windows to version 10 enterprise 20H2, but that didn't solve the issue.

we opened a case with Microsoft and they informed us that the issue is from the adapter.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Khun_Doug
Valued Contributor I

A_N,

What model ZBOOK do you have? And please give some details about your home network, such as model of router or access point. And how far or near are you to the device?

0 Kudos
A_N
Beginner

Hello Khun,

I have tested the wireless using a different wireless routers ( TP-Link, Mi, etc...) with the same result, the laptop is near the router (less than 5 meter).

I have HP ZBOOK firefly 14 G7 mobile workstation.

I got general failure message on the command line which means that the connection is drooped.

appreciate your support.

0 Kudos
Khun_Doug
Valued Contributor I

A_N,

Would you please download and run the Intel System Support Utility. The SSU collects information about the OS and hardware, but nothing personally identifiable and no passwords. Run the SSU and leave the default settings, click Scan, then Next, and then save the results into a file. Please post back and attach the file. The SSU can be found here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-

Are there specific apps that you are attempting to use that are failing? And approximately how long after the laptop connects does the connection fail?

0 Kudos
A_N
Beginner

we are trying to enable the dot1x using Native supplicant or third party supplicant ( cisco NAM), and its failing on the both cases , also we removed the software ( cisco NAM ) with the same behavior.

I attached the SSU result.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Khun_Doug
Valued Contributor I

A_N,

The current driver for the AX201 is more than a year old. I would move to the current revision and work with that. Network drivers are updated to resolve problems. The link I found for HP ZBook downloads is here: https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-zbook-firefly-14-g7-mobile-workstation/32849630

When you say the connection is dropped, do you mean the Cisco software disconnected, or do you mean the laptop completely disconnected from the wireless? And I see from the SSU that your network appears to be some sort of mesh or have multiple nodes. Is this a mesh system with multiple access points connected and controlled at a central point? Or are there multiple routers with each operating independently, or multiple access points connected to one router? Is there one common name between devices so people can move about? What is the degree of overlap between routers or access points?

0 Kudos
A_N
Beginner

Hello ,

kindly find my reply below:

• regarding the driver version , we tried a multiple versions (22.40.0.7,22.10.0.7, and the current version ) with the same behavior 
  • When you say the connection is dropped, do you mean the Cisco software disconnected, or do you mean the laptop completely disconnected from the wireless? we disabled the cisco software to isolate the issue , and still the sane issue ( completely disconnected ).
  • And I see from the SSU that your network appears to be some sort of mesh or have multiple nodes. Is this a mesh system with multiple access points connected and controlled at a central point? Or are there multiple routers with each operating independently, or multiple access points connected to one router? Is there one common name between devices so people can move about? What is the degree of overlap between routers or access points? the current setup is a multiple access points connected to one router , and we tested all the following scenarios with the same behavior.
    • mech access points.
    • single access point.
    • hotspot from mobile.
    • disable 5 GHZ.
    • disable 2.4 GHZ.

0 Kudos
Khun_Doug
Valued Contributor I

A_N,

At the point the laptop disconnects does it still show wireless networks to connect to, but none are connected? Or does the wireless act as though it no longer receives any wireless to connect to?

Also, at the point when the disconnect happens have you looked at Device Manager to see if anything shows a yellow exclamation point?

0 Kudos
A_N
Beginner

Hello Khun,

• At the point the laptop disconnects does it still show wireless networks to connect to, but none are connected? Or does the wireless act as though it no longer receives any wireless to connect to? its acting like there are no wireless signal.
  • Also, at the point when the disconnect happens have you looked at Device Manager to see if anything shows a yellow exclamation point? we didn't check that , however every time the issue happing the following windows events logged
    • 8000 - Miniport Halt flow (driver disable)
    • Connectivity state in standby: Disconnected, Reason: NIC compliance
    • lso triggered

0 Kudos
Khun_Doug
Valued Contributor I

A_N,

I have one more question and then a suggestion. First, does the laptop exhibit this disconnect behavior when NOT using the Cisco software? Actually, let me rephrase this: If you uninstall the Cisco software and then use the laptop as just a regular PC, does it disconnect from the wireless?

(If you get more disconnects, please do check Device Manager)

My current suggestion, besides uninstalling the Cisco software, is to completely uninstall the wireless AND any Bluetooth driver. Then install both wireless AX201 and the Bluetooth driver suites such that they are at the same revision level. Then use the laptop for a while to see if it exhibits this behavior.

0 Kudos
A_N
Beginner

Hi Khun,

we tried this before by , we uninstalled the software and monitor the system for a couple of hours and its disconnected , and we did another test after uninstalling the software by disabling and enabling the adapter and that solve the issue, but when we troubleshoot this issue with cisco and Microsoft and after uninstalling the software they informed us that the issue is from the adapter.

the adapter is forcing the windows to drop the connection and to reset.

regarding point number 2 , we did it before but it didn't work.

thank you for your cooperation.

0 Kudos
Khun_Doug
Valued Contributor I

A_N,

Are there more than one of these HP ZBook laptops that are being implemented, or is there only one of these and that one is the one we are discussing? If the problem is duplicated on more than one then there is something in the setup.

What I would try next is reloading the machine to a completely new install of WIndows, just the way it came from HP. It might mean uninstalling some of the bloatware they install. But before adding the Cisco software see how the laptop performs. If the problem happens immediately, then I suspect you have a hardware error and need HP to service the laptop. If the problem does not happen, then move forward with the Cisco software and see what it does. At some point the problem is likely to start happening again. You just need to see at what point the laptop worked and when it stops working.

0 Kudos