Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7431 Discussions

Wireless card for a Gateway 3522 laptop

BGrap
Beginner

Hi Intel staff,

I was reading the forums for any information about the wireless card in a Gateway 3522 laptop. According to the internet, I believe the card is an Intel Wireless-N 2200 B/G card. Discontinued since 2009, I have no support for the Windows driver, right ? The reason I can still use the wireless card is that it works in Linux. The connection icon in Windows is non-existent: only the ethernet and Broadcom LAN adapter 1394 icons appear !

Please provide an archived Windows XP SP3 driver. If not, I will be using the wireless card in Linux. Thanks, and I look forward to your reply.

Brian Grapilon

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Sorry, these files have been removed for discontinued products. If gateway does not have the downloads for your laptop, you should consider two things:

a) purchase a usb dongle that provides wifi for the current world (not B and G, but N or AC).

b) purchase a new or newer laptop that supports Winfows 10, as XP was discontinued in 2014 (five years ago). Running XP is a huge risk for you.

Doc

0 Kudos
BGrap
Beginner

Thanks Al, for the response. I had an extra USB dongle wireless adapter, and am using it to download and update my old computer. I will set up this old computer for Linux. Actually, it already is a triple-boot machine, with OpenSUSE 12.3 and Puppy Linux 6.3.2 as the other OS's.

I would like to set this laptop up as a file server in Linux. Too bad I cannot use Windows XP Pro SP3 to do this ! I will consider upgrading to WIndows 7 Pro, but maybe consider the end of life cycle of Win 7 too. Thank goodness for Linux !

Brian

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

yes, W7 is history in January, and W8.x is not worth considering.

Doc

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I have a backup of the necessary versions of the Wireless software (version 18.40.4) that you need for this wireless card, but only for Windows 7 and Windows 10. If you would like it, send me a private message that includes your home email address.

BTW, if you have a valid and active Windows 7 license, you can still use its license key to install Windows 10. I do not know how long this capability will continue to work, however. There are two downsides to consider:

1. You cannot do this via upgrade; you must do a from-scratch install.
  2. This Windows 7 license will be permanently tied to this particular PC and, if it dies, the license dies with it (i.e. you cannot use it to install Windows 7 or Windows 10 on a replacement PC).

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos