Hi all. I have got a lot of issues with my wireless card. It has the latest drivers but issues are still present . From time to time it disconnects or doesn't see my network despite the fact that it isn't hidden. I tried many versions of drivers from the official intel page but the problem remains (it is only not as frequnt as before with the newest software). But the most important, I noticed that my intel n-7260 single band card may be seen as dual band. I discovered that I can do something like this: 1) left click on network icon on tray, 2) right click on my network that I am connected to and select Properties, 3) go to Connection and select Configure..., 4) Here I can select 2,4 GHz or 5,2 GHz or mixed band.
So, is it a bug or is it normal despite it is single band card?
Thanks for posting.
With a single band adapter, you should be able to connect to the 2.4 GHz band only, even if the option to switch between 2.4 and 5.2 GHz bands is available.
Just to confirm, if you select 5.2 GHz, are you still able to connect and access the Internet?
In order to better assist you, we would like to gather some more information. Please download and run the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600 Intel® System Support Utility (while connected to your network) and share the resulting report with us.
Hi Eugenio. Sorry for such late response, I had other duties.
I attach log you requested generated by appropriate application - SSU_log.txt. If it comes to switching between frequencies, I can set either 2,4GHz or 5,2GHz but it does not affect real change in wireless connection. My WiFi router still shows I am connected using 2,4GHz band. Switching between these 2 bands only leads to temporary connection lost but after a while it becomes fine. So this is not seriouos problem. It only looks like small software negligence.
Also discovered issue with lease time configuration obtained from my WiFi router by DHCP service. On my router there is 2 hours release time configured (see DHCProuter_settings) but lease time obtained by my PC is nearly 18 hours (see DHCPPC_settings). The WiFi router I use to this test is Compal 7465LG-LC but the same problem occurs with my old WiFi router which was TL-WR841N(PL). Several months ago I saw that my lease time was set even for circa one month and longer.
In the mentime I checked behaviour of my card under Linux and there are a lot of problems similar to windows host. dmesg tool showed me a lot of issues but of course if the problem is only related to driver, then it has not much in common with Windows. But probably it is problem with the firmware because when updating firmware on Linux host, then nic behaves more stable and I suppose that some actions like applying DHCP setting are done by hardware (also the firmware for Windows and Linux may be the same). Anyway, I also attach extra logs from Linux machine.
Thanks for the reply.
Short DHCP lease times can lead to disconnections and it's usually set to 24 hours on home networks. Is there a reason why you need it set to just 2 hours?
For testing purposes, please perform a clean installation of the wireless drivers:
- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000022173/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html Clean Installation of Wireless Drivers
We recommend testing using the https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/uu/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/ideapad-u-series-laptops/ideapad-u330-touch-notebook/20268/downloads drivers provided by your OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) as well.
NOTE: Links to third party sites are being offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel of the content, products, or services offered there.
If the issue persists, please open a command promt as administrator, run command netsh wlan show interfaces and share the results with us.
Clean installation solved the most problematic issues with stability on Windows host. A few months ago I was using driver released by my laptop manufacturer without clean installation and it didn't work but clean installation solved this. Now it works very well, only sometimes the signal strength varies with no reason but there is no serious and long lasting retadration.
I also confirmed that previous connection losts were mainly not related to lease time configured on router as it is impossible to lost connection several times in a row during a dozen of minutes. If it comes to lease time assign date showed by OS, it is not changed after each lease time expiration so it doesn't determine that lease time length assigned is wrong.
Anyway, this thread can be closed and alternatively marked as closed/solved. Thank you Eugenio.