Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

intel(r) dual band wireless-ac 3168 dropping to 6 mbps

NicholasMancuso
Beginner

I'm not sure what's going on. But at random times throughout the day, my internet would just constantly drop from 100-130 mbps down to ~6000 kbps multiple times in a minute. Everyone else in my family don't really have any internet issues and I've only noticed that it would be my pc and we are on 5 GHZ instead of 2.4 GHZ. Is there anyway to fixing this?

0 Kudos
18 Replies
ClariceStarling
Valued Contributor II

There's a lot of previous posts on this same topic.  It's not going to be easy to fix because it could be so many different things.  First question is, is this a new PC or was it working properly before?

0 Kudos
NicholasMancuso
Beginner

This is a pc I've had for maybe 15 months now and it got really bad about a week ago and only happens to me. Everyone else has stable connections on the wifi and its only been a problem for me. The issue is I'm not sure what would be the best way to fix the issue if it has something to do with my hardware(like the nic card). 

0 Kudos
NicholasMancuso
Beginner

This is a pc I've had for maybe 15 months now and it got really bad about a week ago and only happens to me. Everyone else has stable connections on the wifi and its only been a problem for me. The issue is I'm not sure what would be the best way to fix the issue if it has something to do with my hardware(like the nic card).

0 Kudos
ClariceStarling
Valued Contributor II

I'm bumping this up for you ... let's see what Intel says!

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello NicholasMancuso, 

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

In order to better assist you, please provide the following:  

1. Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about the system.  

· Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18377/25293/intel-system-support-utility-for-windows.html?v=t  

· Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".  

· To save your scan, click Next and click Save.  

2. Are you using a desktop computer or a laptop? Can you provide the model name?

3. What is the model name of your router?

4. Have you tried with a different router?

5. Does the issue persists on the 2.4GHz band?

Regards,    

Deivid A. 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
NicholasMancuso
Beginner

1. Did the scan and added the file to here

2. I am using a pc. The model name(I'm assuming you mean as in model number) was custom made by a manufacturer as its just "To be filled by O.E.M.

3. I'm not sure if it has to do with the wifi(nor am sure if I found it), but it is DG1670A/TW.

4. Different router as in changing from between the two wifis? Yeah 

5.Yes and it persists on both wifis. 

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello NicholasMancuso, 

Thanks for the information provided, 

In order to help you, please try the following:

1. If possible, use the antennas that usually come with the motherboard/wireless adapter.

2. Is this the original adapter that came pre-installed on your computer or did you change/install the adapter to this one? 

3. Update your Windows to the latest version (19043).

4. Update your BIOS, you may need the instruction from ASRock:

- https://www.asrock.com/mb/intel/b365%20phantom%20gaming%204/index.asp#BIOS

5. Update the Intel driver:

- Driver: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19351/windows-10-wi-fi-drivers-for-intel-wireless-adapters.html

- Steps: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000022173/wireless/intel-wireless-products.html

6. Try to report this issue also with ASRock.

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
NicholasMancuso
Beginner

1. I have the antennas installed to my pc.

2. The adapters(I assume you mean the antennas) did come with the computer.

3. Windows is updated, but not to 21H1 although I will do it later.

NicholasMancuso_0-1631325445183.png

4.Updated my BIOS.

5.also updated the driver and restarted my pc, I'll update this if I notice any internet issues.

0 Kudos
NicholasMancuso
Beginner

nevermind still having internet issue.

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello NicholasMancuso, 

Thanks for the information provided.

Please try the following recommendations:

1. Check the following link for the "Recommended Settings for 802.11ac Connectivity"

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000024678/wireless.html

2. Were you able to update the Windows version?

Regards,  

Deivid A. 

0 Kudos
NicholasMancuso
Beginner

I am still having issues. Would it have to do with the Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (2) I219-V adapter or something else? I might also update my windows to the 21H1 optional update and see if it fixes my issue

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello NicholasMancuso, 

Thanks for the information provided, 

Before we continue further, I would like to confirm the following:

1. Did you tried the "Recommended Settings for 802.11ac Connectivity"?

2. Have you performed all the Windows updates?

3. Since you mentioned that the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3168 came preinstalled on your computer, have you reported the issue to ASRock?

Regards,  

Deivid A. 

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello NicholasMancuso,

Were you able to check the previous post and get the information requested? Please let me know if you need more assistance.   

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
NicholasMancuso
Beginner

Hello,

I haven't tried the recommended 802.11ac Connectivity, I have performed all the window updates that I have done and no I haven't reported it to ASrock as I don't think that was part of the issue(just a speculation). But I've noticed that I haven't had any internet issues today so I'll update the thread if I do have any in a few days

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello NicholasMancuso, 

I am glad to hear that you have not faced any internet issues in the last few days, however, if you encounter any issues please try the "Recommended Settings for 802.11ac Connectivity" and let me know if the issue persists.

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000024678/wireless.html

Regards,    

Deivid A. 

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello NicholasMancuso,  

I would like to know if you had any issues with the wireless adapter. Do you need further assistance? Please let me know

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
NicholasMancuso
Beginner

hello, 

Sorry for the delay. I think we found the main issue and don't need assistance anymore, thank you!

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello NicholasMancuso, 

Thanks for the update.

I will proceed to close this thread, however, bear in mind that is always recommended to use the drivers from the laptop/motherboard manufacturer since those are customized to work perfectly with your system and Intel drivers are just generic.

Also, check with the ISP (Internet Service Provider) since the speed is related to them and with the Laptop manufacturer for further instructions.

Regards,  

Deivid A. 

0 Kudos