Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

intel wifi 8260

erodr14
Novice

All of a sudden my asus pce-ac55bt b1 with intel 8260 has been slowing down then disconnecting from the router its really strange it even sometimes kicks off other devices using the 5ghz network.Just browsing the internet and not putting any load on the card is ok for awhile but itll disconnect eventually. As soon as i try to download a file or download a steam game it either starts and downloads fast 10-14MB/s and starts to slow then drops connection or itll just get confused and drop before its really strange. I've tried the windows 10 generic driver, Asus' driver, all the latest past intel drivers even loaded up ubuntu live on a usb stick and tested the same thing happens. Switched pci-e ports, adjusted antennas, checked for loose wire connections ending with same result. Had to go back to using my netgear a6210 usb adapter which is working heavy downloads fine while i wait for amazon to ship me a replacement.

Thats just a quick catch up of all the things ive done to rule out my pc and windows 10. Has there been anyone else having these problems? is it driver + windows 10 related or is it really a bad part that cant handle a high load. Not much of a help me fix my card but more of a hey has anyone had these issues and what caused it. Any info will be appreciated.

efrain.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
erodr14
Novice

after receiving a replacement ASUS PCE-AC55BT B1 and having the same issues i decided to go for it and get a new router my problems have stopped really amazing that other wifi adapters could be fine with the arris 1672g modem/router but not the ASUS PCE-AC55BT B1 so now if anyone is having the same issues this might point them to another cause. Thanks Carlos A. mark as solved

View solution in original post

5 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello efrainFL,

We understand you've been having some connectivity and networking issues with your ASUS PCE-AC55BT B1 Wireless-AC1200 Bluetooth 4.2 PCIe/mPCIe adapter*, which uses the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260.

If connecting a new client to your network results in problems to other devices, more often then not it could be that your router is having a difficult time balancing the available bandwidth between your devices (think QoS bandwidth balancing/Priority Access list). However, we would need to troubleshoot further to find the root cause of the problem.

In order to better assist you, we would like the following information:

1. What is the brand and model of your wireless router?

2. Did you already return the adapter, or are you still able to troubleshoot?

3. If you still have the adapter, please share a report generated using the Intel® System Support Utility.

1. Download the latest https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293 Intel® SSU.

2. While connected to your network using our adapter, run the scan. Select "everything."

3. Name and save the report, attach it to your reply.

We look forward to hearing back from you.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
erodr14
Novice

1. What is the brand and model of your wireless router?

System:ARRIS DOCSIS 3.0 / PacketCable 2.0 Touchstone Residential Gateway

HW_REV: 6

VENDOR: Arris Interactive, L.L.C.

BOOTR: 2.2.0.27

SW_REV: 9.1.103J6TW2.SIP.PC20.TW

MODEL: TG1672GSerial Number:[Removed, Carlos A.]Battery Charger FW Rev:03.10Options:

Firmware Build and Revisions

Firmware Name:TS0901103J6TW2_072417_16XX.GW_PC20_TWFirmware Build Time:Mon Jul 24 11:08:24 EDT 2017eSAFE 0 FW Revision:TS0901103J6TW2_072417_ARRIS_GW
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello efrainFL,

Thank you for these reports.

We can see that your router is a legacy Wireless-N model, which will limit your maximum connection rate from 867 down to a maximum of 300 Mbps. The current connection rate displayed in the SSU report is of 240 Mbps.

It's important to note that your connection rate will always be a larger number than your actual download speeds. This is because a download speed measurement does not account for network overhead such as routing, encryption, RF interference, and network congestion, etc.

However, even with a connection rate of 240 Mbps in an 802.11n network, your download speeds should be greater than what you're currently reporting. With this rate, you should be able to get up to around 120 Mbps.

In this case it's worth looking into and troubleshooting your wireless router. We're aware that other devices, and even this same computer with a different adapter, are able to reach better speeds. This could mean that for some reason, your router is giving your Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260 a low priority.

To troubleshoot, we can suggest to toggle any available QoS (Quality of Service) or Priority Access List. Alternatively, you could factory reset your wireless router and set your WiFi back from scratch, then connect this computer first and see if the issue persists.

If this was a laptop we would suggest testing it in a different network, but this may not be possible for a desktop system.

The most improvement would come from upgrading to a Wireless-AC capable router.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
erodr14
Novice

after receiving a replacement ASUS PCE-AC55BT B1 and having the same issues i decided to go for it and get a new router my problems have stopped really amazing that other wifi adapters could be fine with the arris 1672g modem/router but not the ASUS PCE-AC55BT B1 so now if anyone is having the same issues this might point them to another cause. Thanks Carlos A. mark as solved

idata
Employee

Hello efrainFL,

We're glad to hear that you were able successfully pinpoint the cause of the problem. Thank you for sharing the solution with us, I'm sure this will help other users experiencing similar issues.

If there's anything else we can help you with, please don't hesitate to contact us again.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos