Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7426 Discussions

net keeps disconnecting trillian and steam

kitane
Beginner

my problem is as fallows. when i go to download big programs and games on steam or even on browser it loads for a min then i loose connection to Trillian, Steam and other programs. i did think to my self "maybe i need a update" and some was available on Intel's site. in which i downloaded and tried afterwards to see if there was any difference. i started downloading a big game of like 45gb and it was seeming to have worked but later after about half way thru it the issue came back signing me out of trillian and steam showing "no connection". i tried again today and was able to finish downloading without it disconnecting but im now wondering if mabey my net card just has gotten to old. its a intel(R) wireless-AC 9462. my PC's 3 1/2 years old right now so not tooo old but a little in PC standards and such and made by cyberpower using there build a PC thing.

0 Kudos
19 Replies
AlHill
Super User

So the Intel support engineers can have more information about your system, Please download and run the Intel System Support Utility (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- ) for Windows. Select all data categories and then have it generate a report. Next, have the tool Save the report to a text file (don't try to use the Submit capability; it doesn't work). Finally, using the Drag and drop here or browse files to attach dialog below the edit box for the body of your response post, upload and attach this file to the response post.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

0 Kudos
kitane
Beginner

here's the info sorry took a bit. got the mail early and then forgot on it XD

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello kitane,

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities.  

To have a better understanding of your issue, please provide me with the following:

• When did it start to happen?
  • Do you remember if this issue happened after a new OS update or Wireless driver update?
  • Does the issue persist when using another network?
  • Are you able to reproduce the same issue while on a hardwired connection?
  • Were you able to have your wireless connection in a normal/expected performance before?
  • Is this the original adapter that came pre-installed in your system or have you changed/installed a new adapter recently?

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
kitane
Beginner

when did it start: that was around july. i rebooted my PC as figured that was the problem and got a new modem after as found that was the real reason why my comp and net was slow. but ever sence then its been happening  were i cant download big files without it seeming to overload it.

Do you remember if this issue happened after a new OS update or Wireless driver update?: i did update the driver a few days ago as my first post says but still feels some lingering effect or such.

Are you able to reproduce the same issue while on a hardwired connection?: i do have one of those net sticks from linksys i can try with to see if any effects happen with that. but modem is to far away for a hardwire connection.

Were you able to have your wireless connection in a normal/expected performance before?: yeah i was always able to download and get it all done without feeling a drop in net speed or on anything else

Is this the original adapter that came pre-installed in your system or have you changed/installed a new adapter recently? original net card. nothing has been changed/added but a hard drive and that was like more then 3 years or so ago.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello kitane,

Sometimes corrupted files from previous installations of drivers can linger on a system which can cause driver updates to not work as expected. To solve this, please try a clean installation of our latest driver, the 22.160.0 version.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
kitane
Beginner

tried and still same results. i tried a little test as was thinking on it as just had xfinity come check the net and make sure was fully working (which it is green all across the board)

i have 2 net lines a normal one and a 5g line. on steam i can get 6mb of speed. 5g line gives me the full 15mb of speed.

i started downloading a game on steam that usually causes the "no connection" problem on the 6mb line.. was fine. swapped back to 5g line and then started slowly upping it every few mins 1mb. i made it to 12 mb before it seemed to have trouble.. ether its my net card giving out or my motherboard cant properly read the data downloading at that speed causing it to error and "disconnect"?

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello kitane,

Thanks for your response.

You mentioned that you swapped the network while you were downloading the game. Could you try using one network to confirm if you are able to complete the download without swapping?

Also, you mentioned that you would try using a hardwire connection. Were you able to test this network?

Based on the SSU you provided, your system operating system is not updated. The version you have installed is 19043, and the latest version available is 19045. I would recommend you update the operating system since it is always important to have the latest features and fixes. If you need assistance installing the latest version of your operating system, you should contact Microsoft for support.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
kitane
Beginner

i just tried it with the other net setting and seems like it went thru with no trouble so seems like ether my card cant handle the 5g network fully past 11mb-12mb speed or maybe something else? the net card is a intel wireless-AC 9462 or could be my mother board not reading it right? its a ASROCK z390 phantom gaming 4-cb.

i cant the hard line as don't have a cable long enough to reach from modem to PC

as for the OS ill get on that in a min after post this message to make sure its up to date as well

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello kitane,

Regarding your questions, the wireless adapter should be able to have a stable connection with the 5 GHz network.

When you mentioned that you tried it with the other net setting, does it mean that you used the 2.4 GHz network?

Also, in the meantime you try updating the Operating System, please try the following:

• Check the distance from the router, it is important to mention that the 5 GHz frequencies provide faster speeds at a shorter range.  
  • Move away from devices that can cause wireless interferences such as microwave ovens or cordless phones.
  • See if the system has the recommended settings for 802.11ac connectivity.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
kitane
Beginner

yes im meaning the 2.4 GHz network. connection seems stable there for when downloading things.

the distance for PC to modem is basically only about 18 feet away from the PC with a straight shot from pc to it with nothing in between that could screw up signals.

OS is fully updated now and i looked for stuff like the channels and all and ill try another few channels see if help's

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello kitane,

Thank you for the information provided.  

I will proceed to check the issue internally and post back soon with more details. 

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello kitane,

Thanks for waiting for a response.

I would like to know how many systems are affected by this. Is the issue only present on your desktop system?

Also, here are some recommendations:

• Try a different access point.
  • Check the antennas are properly seated
  • Check for router Firmware and configuration.
  • Based on the report you provided, I noticed that the BIOS version installed on your system is the P1.00 version. It seems to be the factory BIOS version, so I would recommend you update the BIOS to the latest version available, 4.40. For further information about how to update the BIOS, you should contact ASRock support.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
kitane
Beginner

just mine is effected by it but i think i figured whats up. like half a year i was hearing water moving in my pc it sounded like and i know i have a water cooled.. most guess burned away and now slowly cooking the PC as when i was playing a game last night with friends it was lagging and disconnecting from the game quite a lot and PC was a bit hot.. it eased up after reduced settings but last week was able to.. so yeah i think im just slowly burning up my PC. i have a new one coming in from cyberpower in a few days. thanks for the help on trying to figure what exactly it was.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello kitane,

Since you mentioned that the issue could be caused by physical damage due to a water leak in your system; I would recommend contacting the Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) for support. OEMs could perform a hardware inspection and determine if the water leak has affected your system.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
kitane
Beginner

its more the water has evaporated in the line so everything overheating from it then it leaked. i didn't fully know what i had for the coolant tell like few nights ago and then remembering i hurd water inside moving thru the cord at times and then it clicked id say. so most likely im frying my boards slowly because of no water and all the heat  XD

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello kitane,

I understand that your system may be affected by Overheating issues due to your colling system being faulty. It is true that Overheating issues affect the performance of your unit; however, the wireless card performance should not be affected by your CPU thermals

If you want, you can try my recommendations mentioned before:

• Try a different access point.
  • Check the antennas are properly seated
  • Check for router Firmware and configuration.
  • Based on the report you provided, I noticed that the BIOS version installed on your system is the P1.00 version. It seems to be the factory BIOS version, so I would recommend you update the BIOS to the latest version available, 4.40. For further information about how to update the BIOS, you should contact ASRock support.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello kitane,

I hope you are doing fine.

Were you able to check the previous post?

Let us know if you still need assistance.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
kitane
Beginner

bios wont update on mine as mine is a phantom gaming 4-CB and the other bios just wont go thru with them iv tried.  iv tried hunting around for the right one but zero luck and just not feeling any reason to jump on the site's help atm as this PC is about to be replaced in a few days with a brand new PC. so this can be basically closed now thanks for the help

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello kitane,

As you requested, so I am continuing to close the thread. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.  

Best Regards, 

Jean O.

0 Kudos