Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

unable to install Wifi adapters

NNG
Novice

With the latest Windows update, the Wifi adapter was not working and by mistake I have removed the adapter. I installed the Intel Driver & Support Assistant. Assistant suggested to install Windows 10 Wi-fi Drivers for Intel Wireless Adapters. I downloaded the same but the installation has some issues. I am attaching a log file of the error messages.

There was a problem with wireless Bluetooth as well but it was installed successfully by the Assistant. 

My laptop information is also attached. Can anyone please support to get back my wi-fi adapter and driver?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
NNG
Novice

Hi All,

Finally I am able to resolve this after re-installing the Windows.

Thanks to you all for investing your time and giving me some suggestions. 

Regards,

Nitesh Gupta

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
18 Replies
Victor_G_Intel

Hello NNG,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

We appreciate the logs and the information provided so far; however, in order to further assist you please provide the following

report and information to continue.

-Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU)

Download link: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-

•          Open the application and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information

•          By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View".  

•          Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".  

•          To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save".

Use the option under the reply window to attach the report to the thread (Drag and drop here or browse files to attach).

- Have you tried to reboot the laptop?

- How did you uninstall the adapter’s driver manually or with a tool?

- Is this the original adapter that came pre-installed in your system or have you changed/installed a new adapter recently?

- Do you still see your wireless adapter model under the device manager’s network adapters section?

- Did any yellow exclamation signs appeared in your device manager?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Victor G.

Intel Technical Support Technician

0 Kudos
NNG
Novice

Hello Victor,

The requested information is attached for your further investigation.

1. Have you tried to reboot the laptop? - yes many times.
  2. How did you uninstall the adapter’s driver manually or with a tool? - Manually
  3. Is this the original adapter that came pre-installed in your system or have you changed/installed a new adapter recently? - original adapter came pre-installed.
  4. Do you still see your wireless adapter model under the device manager’s network adapters section? - No
  5. Did any yellow exclamation signs appeared in your device manager? - Before removing the network adapter the yellow exclamation sign was there but after removing it I do not see any such sign anywhere in Device Manager.

Regards,

Nitesh Gupta

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel

Hello NNG,

Since your computer is a laptop, there is not much we can do in regards to hardware since that type of diagnosing should only be done by either a repair shop or Dell’s support; however, since the problem started with uninstalling software please try the following and let us know if the issue persists.

-Complete a clean installation of the latest Dell driver and if the issue persists you can try our latest generic driver.

Instructions

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000022173/network-and-io/wireless.html

Note: If the installation of the .exe file is unsuccessful you can try with the .zip version of the driver by following the steps below:

1-Save the .zip file from the driver download link on the computer.

2-Go to Device Manager.

3-Expand the Network Adapters category.

4-Right-click your Intel Wireless Adapter and choose to uninstall it.

5-Make sure to select the option to Delete the driver software for this device.

6-Repeat steps 3 through 5 until the option to Delete the driver software for this device is greyed out.

7- Right-click your Intel Wireless Adapter

8-Select Update driver.

9-Click Browse my computer for driver software.

10-Click Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.

11-Click Have Disk.

12-Click Browse. Select the location where the driver files are located.

13-Click Next. Drivers are now being installed.

14-Reboot the computer when prompted

Latest Dell driver

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/product-support/product/latitude-e5470-laptop/drivers

Note: To find the driver please follow this path: Driver and downloads> Find Drivers> Category> Network> Intel 8260/7265/3165 Wi-Fi Driver version 22.20.0.6, A34> download.

Latest Intel driver

.exe

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/30112/Windows-10-Wi-Fi-Drivers-for-Intel-Wireless-Adapters

.zip

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/30113/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-IT-Admins

Note: Please test both files with the instructions above

*Links to third-party sites and references to third-party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, Intel® is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third-party endorsement of Intel or any of its products is implied.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Victor G.

0 Kudos
NNG
Novice

Dear Victor,

Thanks for the suggestions but unfortunately none of these suggestions worked for me.

The problem is that I do not see the Wireless Network Adapter in my Device Manager so I cannot uninstall or re-install the same either with exe file or zip file.

And if I use the Intel support system to automatically detect and install the drivers then it ends with error and logs file are generated which I have already sent when I first reported this issue.

Is there anything else we can do?

Regards,

Nitesh Gupta

0 Kudos
Khun_Doug
Valued Contributor I

NNG,

I didn't see any mention of checking the BIOS on the laptop to see if there is a way to enable and disable the built-in wireless. Do you know if the BIOS has that feature?

Did the laptop suffer any type of recent crash or malware that required cleaning and removal? Or something that suddenly started to happen without explanation, besides your wireless trouble? Perhaps a failed update that won't install.  The reason I ask is the issues you are experiencing could be security issues in the file system, or even something linked to your account on the laptop. Do you have a second logon account on the laptop that has administrator privilege?

0 Kudos
NNG
Novice

Hi,

No, I do not know if there is such feature in BIOS. I do not know how to check this? can you suggest on how  to check this?

Did the laptop suffer any type of recent crash or malware that required cleaning and removal? - No.

Or something that suddenly started to happen without explanation, besides your wireless trouble? - No, just after the windows update, the Wireless Internet was not working and I removed it to re-install it and after that I am not able to re-install it.

Do you have a second logon account on the laptop that has administrator privilege? - No.

Regards,

Nitesh

0 Kudos
Khun_Doug
Valued Contributor I

NNG,

According to the Dell information you provided, your BIOS is out of date. I am attaching a link to a Dell article on how to update the BIOS. You may also have a Dell update suite installed on the laptop that should detect the BIOS update. Sometimes the BIOS updates are easier to install from a manual download and install. Here is the link from Dell's site: https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=k55t9#:~:text=Dell%20Latitude%20E5270%2FE5470%2FE5570%20and%20Precision%203510%20System%20BIOS.,addresses%20the%20Intel%20Security%20Advisories%20INTEL-SA-00086%20and%20INTEL-SA-00101.

Another important part of this is your answer #3, the wireless stopped after a Windows update. That may well indicate a failed update or install, relating to something wrong with the PC. Have you tried removing the update that caused the problem?

0 Kudos
NNG
Novice

Hi,

I updated the BIOS as per the instruction but still no luck with the WIFI internet adapter. I still cannot see the same. I once again tried to install it after the BIOS update but it is still giving me the same Error logs files.

No, I did not try to remove the update which caused the problem. Actually, my laptop was ON for continuous 10-12 days and when I restarted it there were two Windows update and so I do not know which one caused the issue.

Regards,

Nitesh

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel

Hello NNG,

We will complete further research about your issue, and we will update this thread as soon as possible.

In the meantime, you are welcome to try any recommendations provided by our fellow community members.

Regards,

Victor G.

0 Kudos
NNG
Novice

Hi Victor,

Even after the BIOS update i am getting the same result. Please let me know if there is something else which i can try.

Regards,

Nitesh Gupta

0 Kudos
Khun_Doug
Valued Contributor I

NNG,

The fact that you don't see the device in Device Manager, even as an unknown/unidentifiable device, tells me the OS doesn't see it at all. I found an article on the web that discusses someone having trouble turning their wireless on and off from the keyboard. The article explains how to have the BIOS disable the keyboard ability to turn off the wireless. Hopefully, this will allow the wireless to be active again.

Here is the webpage: https://www.dell.com/community/Laptops-General-Read-Only/Latitude-E5400-wifi-switch/td-p/5138176

0 Kudos
NNG
Novice

Hi Khun_Doug,

Unfortunately this also did not work me. I followed the instruction mentioned on the link you have sent but no success. I still do not see the wireless internet adapter.

Regards,

Nitesh

0 Kudos
Khun_Doug
Valued Contributor I

Nitesh,

Please open Device Manager, then expand Network adapters, and screenshot the entire window. Please post back the image.

0 Kudos
NNG
Novice

Hi Khun_Doug,

Here are the requested image. Additionally I am attaching the image of my BIOS settings to make sure that I have done the correct settings.

Regards,

Nitesh Gupta

0 Kudos
Khun_Doug
Valued Contributor I

Nitesh,

I believe this warrants a call to the customer service for the laptop. Your screenshots of BIOS and also Device Manager show that BIOS appears setup properly, but the hardware is not visible to the OS. It might be that the support center will ask you to completely reset the BIOS, or some other steps, and those are out of the scope of things handled on this forum. Please do post back with your results as I am curious what they recommend.

0 Kudos
NNG
Novice

Hi All,

Finally I am able to resolve this after re-installing the Windows.

Thanks to you all for investing your time and giving me some suggestions. 

Regards,

Nitesh Gupta

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel

Hello NNG,

Based on the troubleshooting you have completed, and the issue presented. What we recommend is to contact the laptop manufacturer to request a physical inspection of the laptop’s adapter and the adapter’s connection; to rule out a possible faulty component. If the adapter is recognized after reseating it the only thing you will need to do will be a clean installation of the latest driver available from either our end or the manufacturer’s end, once complete, the only step left will be to test it out; however, if after reseating it the adapter isn’t recognized it will be fair to say that either the adapter itself or the motherboard’s connection is defective.

Important note: As a recommendation, the Intel Driver and Support Assistant (IDSA) is a tool that we only recommend on third party laptops in order to detect certain drivers that need an update, once you know what driver needs an update the most recommendable thing from our end is to go to the manufacturer of the device an look for the customized version of that driver for your system.

Regards,

Victor G.

0 Kudos
NNG
Novice

Hi Victor,

Ok, I will keep this as last option.

Regards,

Nitesh

0 Kudos