Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7429 Discussions

wifi movable antenna extension problems

MrBee77
Beginner

Hi, I have the Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX200 160MHz connected to my Asus ROG STRIX Z590-A GAMING WIFI. Im using the suplied Asus 2t2r dual band wifi moving antenna.

My problem is i would like to move the antenna to a better location but every extension wire i try just does not work. I have tried 4 or 5 different types and each time it reduces the connection to almost zero. The last one i tried was 2x 5m rg174 antenna extension cable RP-SMA male to female connector cable. Adding this resulted in a really poor connection and only sometimes found the 5ghz network. The antenna is 3-4m closer to the router, has a clearer path yet take the extension out and the original 60cm one works much better?

Does anyone have any information on the type of extension cable i would need to connect the antenna with a longer extension.

or suggest an alternative aeriel for this card so i can replace it with one which has a longer connection cable to improve my connection. 

Hope someone can help as im fed up of buying cables i clearly have no idea about.

Thanks in advance.

Kieron

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Have you asked Asus what is supported?  It is their implementation.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

0 Kudos
MrBee77
Beginner

I have askes Asus, not very helpful. The card is supported and it works great and the connection is fine with the small 60cm original antenna./ I moved my pc to a different location which is further away. so thought an wifi extension cable would help with a better connection. When i add the 5m extension the signal is worse.

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @MrBee77

If I may jump into the conversation, as Mr. AlHill recommended previously, you need to contact the computer manufacturer for further assistance since the antenna was built by them. 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

Intel Customer Support Technician. 

0 Kudos