Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12608 Discussions

Nios II IDE File Name too long error

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I am new to the quartus environment. I am using SOPC builder system to program my Cyclone III device on the NEEK board. Recently I was trying to "run as hardware" my project in Nios II IDE and an error showed up saying that the "file name is too long". I think this was when the program was trying to find header files in the ip->SOPC_builder_ip folder. I tried to rename the folders to make them shorter, but then the program was unable to even find the header files and also the SOPC builder got all confused and could not find its components.  

How do I take care of this error? I need help urgently. Thanks in advance. 

- Rohan
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Spaces in your path? That's a no-no! :-) If that's not it, you should consider starting from a new directory....start from as close to "scratch" as is possible. 

Cheers, 

- slacker
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hey Slacker, 

Thanks for the reply. No there are no spaces in the path.  

Also, I do not know how I can change the path for the SOPC_builder_ip directory in the IP folder. I originally defined it when I installed the software from the complete design suite CD. The folder is presently here: 

C:\Altera\80\complete_design_suite\ip\sopc_builder_ip 

I think you are refering to changing my quartus project directory to a shorter path. But i think, changing the quartus project directory wouldnt help me because the compiler in Nios IDE will still want to search for the required header files it needs which are in the above folder (totally different from my quartus project directory). 

I do not want to reinstall the CD again to specify a shorter path. Isn't there a way around this? :) 

Thanks again. 

Rohan 

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hey everyone, 

I solved the problem. I just opened the project in a new workbench and the program compiled perfectly. I am guessing the problem was that there were too many projects in my previous workbench or something? 

- Rohan
0 Kudos