oneAPI Registration, Download, Licensing and Installation
Support for Getting Started questions related to download, Installation and licensing for Intel oneAPI Toolkits and software development tools.

Cannot uninstall oneAPI 2021.2

John_L_10
New Contributor I

After upgrading from Windows 10 to Windows 11, integration of oneAPI 2021.2 in Visual Studio 16.11.26 was broken.  To resolve this, I attempted to repair and uninstall oneAPI, but always the installer closed without a message.

I then uninstalled the above version of Visual Studio, as well as version 16.11.7 (also installed), but it had no effect; oneAPI failed to repair or uninstall in the same way.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
John_L_10
New Contributor I

Here is the solution to my problem, which is installing oneAPI 2021.2 on top of Visual Studio 16.11.7 within Windows 11.  The instructions 

1. Uninstall all versions of oneAPI and Visual Studio.
2. Possibly run "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\Installer\InstallCleanup.exe" to clean up after the visual studio install.
3. Install Visual Studio 16.11.7.
4. Start Visual Studio once, without loading anything, and without logging in anywhere.
5. Possibly reboot. Not sure if this is required.
6. Follow the instructions found in Option 2 at https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/developer/articles/technical/vs2022-and-oneapi-install-issue.html (attached as PDF). SWAP STEPS 4 AND 5. The procedure for Option 2 is used independently for w_BaseKit_p_2021.2.0.2871_offline.exe and w_HPCKit_p_2021.2.0.2901_offline.exe.  No repair is necessary.

The pinned topic "Workaround for Install Issues while upgrading oneAPI toolkits with older version of oneAPI on system" points to the instructions (link in step 6 above).  A comment on that topic, or in the link, could possibly help someone else.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Vipin_Singh1

Hi John, we have sent you a private message. Kindly check your community inbox.

0 Kudos
John_L_10
New Contributor I

Thank you for your message.

Using your instructions I was able to uninstall oneAPI 2021.2.

I uninstalled all versions of Visual Studio.  Then I installed Visual Studio Professional 2022 (17.4.4) and oneAPI 2024.1.  However, when I start Visual Studio, I get an error message.

0 Kudos
John_L_10
New Contributor I

Thank you.  I will follow the steps recommended.

0 Kudos
Vipin_Singh1

Hi John, we have resent the private message to you. Please check your community inbox.

0 Kudos
Vipin_Singh1

0 Kudos
Vipin_Singh1

0 Kudos
John_L_10
New Contributor I

I am receiving your messages by e-mail.  I do not know how to check the "community inbox".  So I will reply here.

My current status is:

on machine "A", which was migrated from windows 10 to windows 11, the oneAPI 2021.2 base kit installer crashes.

on machine "B" (a virtual computer), which was imaged with windows 11, the oneAPI 2021.2 installer does not crash.

I would really like to know what causes the oneAPI 2021.2 installer to crash.

0 Kudos
Vipin_Singh1

Hi John, please note that Intel® oneAPI Base Toolkit Version: 2021.2 is an older and unsupported product.

Intel® has decided that Intel® Toolkits Versions: 2024.1.0 and earlier are not supported anymore. We urge users to upgrade to the latest version of Intel® developer tools. The unsupported versions do not include the latest functional and security updates. These versions are targeted to be removed after a period. We understand that this might be challenging, but it's important to note that the users with active priority support can only access older product versions.

For more information refer to the link: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/developer/articles/release-notes/oneapi-supported-product-versions.htm, and scroll down to the Unsupported Product Version.

Intel® oneAPI users with active Intel Priority Support can access older versions via a secure portal you gain access to as part of your support subscription. 

FAQ's Priority Support Link: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/developer/get-help/faq-priority-support.html

0 Kudos
John_L_10
New Contributor I

Yes, I know that 2021.2 is not supported.  For my current product release cycle we are still using it.

I do not know if my company has an active support subscription.  I am trying to determine our status, but I am from a large company, and the person who supposedly knows is not responding to me.

I have the offline installation files, which is how I am able to attempt installing 2021.2.

0 Kudos
John_L_10
New Contributor I

Here is the solution to my problem, which is installing oneAPI 2021.2 on top of Visual Studio 16.11.7 within Windows 11.  The instructions 

1. Uninstall all versions of oneAPI and Visual Studio.
2. Possibly run "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\Installer\InstallCleanup.exe" to clean up after the visual studio install.
3. Install Visual Studio 16.11.7.
4. Start Visual Studio once, without loading anything, and without logging in anywhere.
5. Possibly reboot. Not sure if this is required.
6. Follow the instructions found in Option 2 at https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/developer/articles/technical/vs2022-and-oneapi-install-issue.html (attached as PDF). SWAP STEPS 4 AND 5. The procedure for Option 2 is used independently for w_BaseKit_p_2021.2.0.2871_offline.exe and w_HPCKit_p_2021.2.0.2901_offline.exe.  No repair is necessary.

The pinned topic "Workaround for Install Issues while upgrading oneAPI toolkits with older version of oneAPI on system" points to the instructions (link in step 6 above).  A comment on that topic, or in the link, could possibly help someone else.

0 Kudos
Vipin_Singh1

Hi John, thank you for your confirmation. We are glad that the issue has been resolved.  

If you have any further queries, please post a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel®.

0 Kudos