Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

QuartusII and Fedora 5

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi 

Have anyone tried running QuartusII 5.1 on Fedora 5 ? 

The old trick with setting LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4 (works on Fedora 4, Mandriva 2005/2006) triggers an error message about libcrypt.so.1 not found, and without LD_ASSUME_KERNEL the program just crashes after 10sec. 

When will Altera ditch that pesky Mainwin thing and start supporting Linux distributions from this milennium.... 

- Atle http://forum.niosforum.com/work2/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/mad.gif
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Works fine, for me, under the latest Debian and Gentoo distros on amd64 (no LD_ASSUME necessary). Dunno about FC5. The last FC release, that I&#39;ve used, is FC3. 

I agree with you about Mainwin, though I believe that the majority of Altera&#39;s customer-base is running Windows....so there&#39;s some sense to it. 

Is it just the GUI that doesn&#39;t work for you or are the CLI tools hosed too? 

Best of luck! 

- slacker
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

It is the GUI that is troublesome, as always ... Which desktopmanager are you running (and which version ?) ? 

The error messages I get from Quartus when running without LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4 is: 

libgcc_s.so.1 must be installed for pthread_cancel to work 

Aborted 

Could perhaps be a libc/gclibc issue (?). 

What versions of gcc/glibc are shipped with the latest Debian / Gentoo distributions ? 

- Atle
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Ah yes, you&#39;ve triggered a latent memory. Try moving/renaming the libgcc_s.so.1 to libgcc_s.so.1.orig in the <QUARTUS_ROOTDIR>/linux directory. That&#39;s what I had to do nearly 6 months ago to get it to work on my flavors of Linux. The Quartus executables that link to this library are now linking to the libraries installed as part of GCC on my systems. 

It also might work, for you, if you can alter the shell script which wraps Quartus to fool it into believing you&#39;re running RH7.3. There&#39;s another libgcc_s.so.1 library in <QUARTUS_ROOTDIR>/adm/syslibs/rh7.3. 

Mind you, I don&#39;t use the GUI for most tasks anyway.... which is a good thing since it&#39;s hardly functional on Linux. 

Hope this works for you! YMMV disclaimers apply... 

Cheers, 

- slacker
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

originally posted by slacker@Apr 1 2006, 06:26 AM 

ah yes, you&#39;ve triggered a latent memory.  try moving/renaming the libgcc_s.so.1 to libgcc_s.so.1.orig in the <quartus_rootdir>/linux directory.  that&#39;s what i had to do nearly 6 months ago to get it to work on my flavors of linux.  the quartus executables that link to this library are now linking to the libraries installed as part of gcc on my systems. 

--- Quote End ---  

Thanks! Now everything works (or at least is partly functional as before ...) again. 

- Atle
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

This worked for me (thanks!), getting Quartus 5.1 up and running on Mandrake Linux: 

--- Quote Start ---  

originally posted by slacker@Mar 31 2006, 09:26 PM 

ah yes, you&#39;ve triggered a latent memory.  try moving/renaming the libgcc_s.so.1 to libgcc_s.so.1.orig in the <quartus_rootdir>/linux directory.  --stuff omitted-- 

cheers, 

- slacker 

<div align='right'><{post_snapback}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=13956) 

--- quote end ---  

--- Quote End ---  

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I&#39;ve also had similar problems with Quartus II 5.1 and FC4. 

However, the good news is that Quartus II 6.0 (available in a few weeks)  

officially supports RedHat Enterprise 4 now which also uses a 2.6 kernel. 

Previously, Quartus only supported RedHat Enterprise 3.
0 Kudos