Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20707 Discussions

Using a fifo with clock enable

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I have a design with a main clock of 100 MHz. With a clock divider I made a clock enable for about a 9 MHz (clock). The 9 MHz will be used to control and LCD. The data which needs to be send to the LCD is sorted in a FIFO. 

The FIFO I generated don't has a clock enable. I think this is normal. But how do I used the read side of the FIFO with the about 9 MHz clock. Is it save to connected the clock enable to the read clock of the FIFO? Or is there a beter way to use the FIFO with the clock enable? I think I can use the rdreq of the FIFO but the process which is reading the data of the FIFO is clocked a 100 MHz with the clock enable of 9 MHz. So if I clock the read side of the FIFO to the 100 MHz clock and the read process is clock via the 9 MHz clock enable, the rdreq will be to long active (this way I will lose data). 

Thanks 

PS there is no possibility to make the 9 MHz clock with a PLL in my design!! Board issue and the PLL outputs I'm using are generating other clock frequencies.
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I would drive the read clock with the 100MHz clock and write some code that would drive a signal high for one 100MHz clock cycle every 11 100MHz clock cycles. Use that signal to drive the rdreq and any other logic that needs to operate at the 9MHz rate. This way you will only get one rdreq and will not lose data.

0 Kudos