Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12606 Discussions

WHY nios2-terminal: exiting due to ^D on remote?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

When running my app in NIOS II IDE. 

The Console siaplay: 

nios2-terminal: exiting due to ^D on remote,then my app stops. 

But I had not type "CTRL + D". 

Anyone can give me some advice?
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

maybe your app did this....

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Are you by any chance running a memory test? If you are running from ram & test ram, you overwrite your own code/stack/heap/data segments & this will cause your console to display "^D" i.e. crash

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

originally posted by ken.macfarlane@coherent.com@Nov 6 2006, 12:40 PM 

are you by any chance running a memory test? if you are running from ram & test ram, you overwrite your own code/stack/heap/data segments & this will cause your console to display "^d" i.e. crash 

<div align='right'><{post_snapback}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=19223) 

--- quote end ---  

--- Quote End ---  

Same happens to me from time to time - I was linking it to some static/noise 

(I have long cable between PC and target board) 

If it is not a communication fluke, but rather application overwriting RAM memory - is there any way to diagnoze it in more detail? What memory area could be the problem here? 

I do not use heap nor any other memory allocation other than local variables inside function (stack) and global variables. How to troubleshoot this problem? 

Also, is there a way to reconnect to the system? Restart the console? I have noticed that after such ^D problem happens my JTAG uart messages are gone even after I reattach my debugger into the running process.
0 Kudos