Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)

Outputs disable

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I have simply problem. I have 8 bit counter (clk input, q[7..0] output) and I want only one output of counter ( q[7] ) on board use. I have output q[7] assign to pin PIN_A1 in Pin_Planner. Other outputs I want not use, but quartus II pins q[6]..q[0] assign... I want this outputs disable. Qustion: How I can unused outputs disable?  

Best regards, Zdenek. 

I am sorry for my english...:)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Don't declare q(7..0) as an output port - declare it as an internal signal instead. 

Declare another one bit wide signal : e.g. q_out. 

then make the assignment: 

q_out <= q(7); 

q_out will be brought to the outside world but the rest of the counter won't as these are internal signals.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you for you reply. 

Is any another posibillity?  

I am use megawizard function and I want not edit this code. 

When is output declare as output port, automatically is assign to external pin? 

I am sorry, I am beginner ;) Regards.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Any port define on your top level entity becomes an external pin. So if you are instantiating a mega-wizard function as your top level, then all ports in that function will map to pins. 

Batfinks suggestion is the way to go
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

From what you've said your design consists solely of the counter which is a megawizard function (correct me if I'm wrong). 

I wouldn't start playing around with editing automatically generated files if I were you - that could get confusing and lead to errors when you update the design. 

What I would do here is write a "wrapper" around your megawizard code - i.e. make the wrapper the top level of your design and just pull out the signals you want to go to pins. The wrapper will be quite simple but will avoid editing automatically generated code. 

Hope this helps.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks, I try it. I have another question. I try tutorials on altera web and quartus interactive tutorials. Exists any more tutorial? I am looking for AHDL materials too. Regards.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II
0 Kudos