Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4995 Discussions

About the Summary information ...

white915
Beginner
How Vtune evaluate the percentage in summary information when I use First-Use wizard in the multi-thread program and multi-core system?
For example, if I get the results as follows:
Function name / Percentage of the Process "ParallelProgram"
-----------------------------------------------------------------
A / 50%
B / 30%
C / 20%
Totalelapsed time: 10 seconds
Command executed: /home/hank/ParallelProgram -t 4
My question is that my program will be parallel executed by multi-cores and each core will execute the A, B and C function. How VTune toget the percentage of the whole Process in A is 50%.
Regards,
Hank
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

Hi Hank,

If you want to know percentage of elapsed time of Function A in application's running, you can get this data by doing below steps:

1. In Processed Report, know percentagei%of targetproccess in whole processes (CPU CLK % column)

2. Select target process, and click "DispalyModule for Selected Items" to display modules report. Then knowj% of target module in whole modules of this target process (CPU CLK% column)

3. Select target module, and click "Display Hotspots for Selected Items" to display hot functions. Then know k% of target function in target module (CPU CLK % column)

So, target function percentage (for whole run) = %i * %j * %k * Duration (elapsed time)

Note that we calculate this percentage, which is for all cores. If you want to know data for specific core, please switch on "Show/Hide CPU info" button...then you can calculate this for all cores respectively.

Regards, Peter

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

Hi Hank,

If you want to know percentage of elapsed time of Function A in application's running, you can get this data by doing below steps:

1. In Processed Report, know percentagei%of targetproccess in whole processes (CPU CLK % column)

2. Select target process, and click "DispalyModule for Selected Items" to display modules report. Then knowj% of target module in whole modules of this target process (CPU CLK% column)

3. Select target module, and click "Display Hotspots for Selected Items" to display hot functions. Then know k% of target function in target module (CPU CLK % column)

So, target function percentage (for whole run) = %i * %j * %k * Duration (elapsed time)

Note that we calculate this percentage, which is for all cores. If you want to know data for specific core, please switch on "Show/Hide CPU info" button...then you can calculate this for all cores respectively.

Regards, Peter

0 Kudos