Analyzers
Community support for Analyzers (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor, Intel Inspector)
Announcements
The Intel sign-in experience has changed to support enhanced security controls. If you sign in, click here for more information.
4823 Discussions

About the Summary information ...

white915
Beginner
How Vtune evaluate the percentage in summary information when I use First-Use wizard in the multi-thread program and multi-core system?
For example, if I get the results as follows:
Function name / Percentage of the Process "ParallelProgram"
-----------------------------------------------------------------
A / 50%
B / 30%
C / 20%
Totalelapsed time: 10 seconds
Command executed: /home/hank/ParallelProgram -t 4
My question is that my program will be parallel executed by multi-cores and each core will execute the A, B and C function. How VTune toget the percentage of the whole Process in A is 50%.
Regards,
Hank
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

Hi Hank,

If you want to know percentage of elapsed time of Function A in application's running, you can get this data by doing below steps:

1. In Processed Report, know percentagei%of targetproccess in whole processes (CPU CLK % column)

2. Select target process, and click "DispalyModule for Selected Items" to display modules report. Then knowj% of target module in whole modules of this target process (CPU CLK% column)

3. Select target module, and click "Display Hotspots for Selected Items" to display hot functions. Then know k% of target function in target module (CPU CLK % column)

So, target function percentage (for whole run) = %i * %j * %k * Duration (elapsed time)

Note that we calculate this percentage, which is for all cores. If you want to know data for specific core, please switch on "Show/Hide CPU info" button...then you can calculate this for all cores respectively.

Regards, Peter

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

Hi Hank,

If you want to know percentage of elapsed time of Function A in application's running, you can get this data by doing below steps:

1. In Processed Report, know percentagei%of targetproccess in whole processes (CPU CLK % column)

2. Select target process, and click "DispalyModule for Selected Items" to display modules report. Then knowj% of target module in whole modules of this target process (CPU CLK% column)

3. Select target module, and click "Display Hotspots for Selected Items" to display hot functions. Then know k% of target function in target module (CPU CLK % column)

So, target function percentage (for whole run) = %i * %j * %k * Duration (elapsed time)

Note that we calculate this percentage, which is for all cores. If you want to know data for specific core, please switch on "Show/Hide CPU info" button...then you can calculate this for all cores respectively.

Regards, Peter