Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4992 Discussions

Accurate CPU time detection was disabled. When processing data from NT Kernel Logger, an unexpected sequence of events was found

petipace
Beginner
I just installed an evaluation copy of VTune Amplifier XE for Windows (on a Windows XP box). When I try the example project in the tutorial: tachyon_vtune_amp_xe.sln It appear to run OK but when the target finishes running all I am getting now is

"Failed to finalize result. The result you are opening is empty..."

When I first tried running I also get the followinbg message in the Collector Messages box:

"Accurate CPU time detection was disabled. When processing data from NT Kernel Logger, an unexpected sequence of events was found."

but even that has disappeared.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.
0 Kudos
6 Replies
David_A_Intel1
Employee
So, the message, "Accurate CPU time detection was disabled" is nothing to worry about. You are probably running Windows* 7 and this is a user-access control issue. If you start Amplifier XE as Administrator ("Run as...") you won't get this message.

As far as the empty result and "NT Kernel Logger" message, I'm not sure. You didn't say, but I assume you are running the Hotspots analysis type? Are you running Amplifier XE from inside Visual Studio? Which version of Visual Studio are you using?
0 Kudos
petipace
Beginner
I'm actually running Windows XP Professional 2002 SP3. I get the same behavior running in VS 2005 SP1 as with the standalone Amplifier XE gui.

I am able to run Lightweight Hotspots ok but not HotSpots. Is that indicative of an access problem?

I do have admin rights for the box I'm running on but I can't run as any other user than myself.

Thanks.
0 Kudos
David_A_Intel1
Employee
Hmmm, that's strange. Normally, access problems would cause issues with the Lightweight Hotspots. Let me check and get back to you.
0 Kudos
petipace
Beginner
Do you any more info on what the problem might be?

Thanks.
0 Kudos
David_A_Intel1
Employee
Not yet. I will reply as soon as I have more info.
0 Kudos
David_A_Intel1
Employee

Sorry for the delay. Here's what I've found:

1. The online help says this about the "NT Logger" message:
    The VTune Amplifier XE requires the Microsoft* NT Kernel Logger to capture precise CPU time data. The NT Kernel Logger is a system-wide resource which cannot be shared by different processes. Other tools, such as the Xperf utility of the Windows* Performance Tools Kit may use the NT Kernel Logger at the same time.
  2. Basically, accuracy is effected because information about context switches could not be collected. You could turn off the "Collect accurate CPU time" option and get rid of the message, but it would be better to make sure whatever is using the logger is not running at the same time as the Amplifier XE.
  3. If you turn off "accurate CPU time" option and try re-profiling and still get the "Failed to finalize result. The result you are opening is empty..." message, we'll need you to zip up the results directory and open an issue at Intel Premier Support, attaching the results zip file to the issue.

Thanks.

0 Kudos