Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4974 Discussions

Amplifier cannot detect remote machine configuration.

Agarwal__Mayank
Beginner

I am trying to use VTune to get memory consumption for my binaries. I have installed VTune on windows and trying to connect to (remote SSH) linux to get the results. However it doesn't move past the first step and gives the error - "Amplifier cannot detect remote machine configuration."

From your another thread I picked a command

INSTALL_VTUNE_DIR/bin64/amplxe-python INSTALL_VTUNE_DIR/bin64/amplxe-runss.py --no-modules --log-folder=WRITABLE_FOLDER --target-system=ssh:USER@TARGET_IP --target-install-dir=/opt/intel/vtune_amplifier_2018.3.0.566015 --ui-output-format xml --context-value-list

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<feedback><message severity="info">Cannot find product on the device. Enabling automatic installation...</message>
<nop/><message severity="info">Installing the package to <USER>@<MACHINE-NAME></message>
<nop/>#########################################################################
  Programs and data  held on this machine are  private property  and ## may be accessed  only  by authorised users  for purposes  which have ## been authorised.
  ####   Unauthorised  access  to  this system  by  employees  contravenes
  ## company rules and is  a disciplinary offence.  Intentional unauthorised access by  any person  is a  criminal offence  and  may lead to ## criminal penalties and civil damages.
  ##
  ##       IF YOU ARE NOT AN AUTHORISED USER DISCONNECT IMMEDIATELY.      ##

These logs are repeated for few times (may be retries) but doesn't exit with specific error. Do you think these are permissions issue?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Kirill_U_Intel
Employee

Do you have disk space enough?

VTune try to copy C:\\Program Files (x86)\\IntelSWTools\\VTune Amplifier 2019\\target\\linux\\vtune_amplifier_target_x86.tgz and C:\\Program Files (x86)\\IntelSWTools\\VTune Amplifier 2019\\target\\linux\\vtune_amplifier_target_x86_64.tgz to /home/<USER>/vtune_amplifier_2019.8.0.604197/

and unpack them there.

Can you copy and unpack manually?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
18 Replies
Kirill_U_Intel
Employee

Hi.

What version of VTune do you use?

Could you try the last VTune from vtune.intel.com and share amplxe-python output one more time?

Is it the same message in output if you try to use VTune/bin64/ssh.exe directly?

Thanks, Kirill

0 Kudos
Agarwal__Mayank
Beginner

I am using 2019 Update 8

If I try to ssh.exe directory this is what I get but yes it can successfully login into the host. The bold ones are inputs provided by me.

The authenticity of host '<<HOSTNAME>> (X.Y.Z.A)' can't be established.
RSA key fingerprint is xxx.
Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)? yes

<<PasswordForUser>>

0 Kudos
Kirill_U_Intel
Employee

ok, let's try to use VTune keys to check passwordless connection

ssh -o BatchMode=yes -o ServerAliveInterval=5 -o StrictHostKeyChecking=no -o UserKnownHostsFile=/dev/null -o ConnectionAttempts=1 <USER>@<MACHINE-NAME> -i %USERPROFILE%\.ssh\id_rsa_vtune_<USER>@<MACHINE-NAME> "echo Hello"

where

"%USERPROFILE%\.ssh\id_rsa_vtune_<USER>@<MACHINE-NAME>" is private key that was generated by VTune automatically.

0 Kudos
Agarwal__Mayank
Beginner

It connects to linux and in fact post asking me password it adds public key to the authorized_keys file as well on linux. But it still remains stuck. I ran amplxe-python as well to collect the logs.

In amplxe_runss.py.12376.logssh and it shows a lot of these files with suffix as 'log0, 1, 2....

Warning: Permanently added '<HOST_NAME>,<IP>' (RSA) to the list of known hosts.
dup - ERROR: DuplicatedHandle() :6
fcntl(-2, F_GETFL): Bad file descriptor

You can see amplxe_runss.py.12376 attached along with this thread. It looks like it keep on trying ssh post that as I lots of amplxe_runss.py.12376.logssh.log{N] files being made and each of them has this above exception.

0 Kudos
Kirill_U_Intel
Employee

To be clear.

• do you have public key on the target linux? something like "ssh-rsa bla-bla-bla vtune" in /home/USER/.ssh/authorized_keys
  • do you still need to set password to get access to the remote linux? Please, provide output for 'ssh <USER>@<MACHINE-NAME> -i %USERPROFILE%\.ssh\id_rsa_vtune_<USER>@<MACHINE-NAME> "echo Hello"'

We could not run collection without passwordless access and looks like something wrong here

0 Kudos
Agarwal__Mayank
Beginner

Re: do you have public key on the target linux? something like "ssh-rsa bla-bla-bla vtune" in /home/USER/.ssh/authorized_keys

Yes

Re:  do you still need to set password to get access to the remote linux? Please, provide output for 'ssh <USER>@<MACHINE-NAME> -i %USERPROFILE%\.ssh\id_rsa_vtune_<USER>@<MACHINE-NAME> "echo Hello"'

No I don't need to enter password to get access. It works just fine.

0 Kudos
Kirill_U_Intel
Employee

Agarwal, Mayank wrote:

Re: do you have public key on the target linux? something like "ssh-rsa bla-bla-bla vtune" in /home/USER/.ssh/authorized_keys

Yes

Re:  do you still need to set password to get access to the remote linux? Please, provide output for 'ssh <USER>@<MACHINE-NAME> -i %USERPROFILE%\.ssh\id_rsa_vtune_<USER>@<MACHINE-NAME> "echo Hello"'

No I don't need to enter password to get access. It works just fine.

Are there authorised output in this case?

#########################################################################

5  Programs and data  held on this machine are  private property  and ## may be accessed  only  by authorised users  for purposes  which have ## been authorised.

6  ####   Unauthorised  access  to  this system  by  employees  contravenes

7  ## company rules and is  a disciplinary offence.  Intentional unauthorised access by  any person  is a  criminal offence  and  may lead to ## criminal penalties and civil damages.

8  ##

9  ##       IF YOU ARE NOT AN AUTHORISED USER DISCONNECT IMMEDIATELY.      ##

0 Kudos
Agarwal__Mayank
Beginner

Yeah I do get the above warnings :)

0 Kudos
Kirill_U_Intel
Employee

Did VTune copy /home/<USER>/vtune_amplifier_2019.8.0.604197/vtune_amplifier_target_x86_64.tgz on the target?

Could you unpack it directly? 

tar xf /home/<USER>/vtune_amplifier_2019.8.0.604197/vtune_amplifier_target_x86_64.tgz -C /home/<USER>/vtune_amplifier_2019.8.0.604197/

0 Kudos
Kirill_U_Intel
Employee

Do you have disk space enough?

VTune try to copy C:\\Program Files (x86)\\IntelSWTools\\VTune Amplifier 2019\\target\\linux\\vtune_amplifier_target_x86.tgz and C:\\Program Files (x86)\\IntelSWTools\\VTune Amplifier 2019\\target\\linux\\vtune_amplifier_target_x86_64.tgz to /home/<USER>/vtune_amplifier_2019.8.0.604197/

and unpack them there.

Can you copy and unpack manually?

0 Kudos
Agarwal__Mayank
Beginner

It gets copied on to linux and gets inflated as well

drwxr-xr-x 13 <USER> <GROUP> 4096 Jan 30 12:02 vtune_amplifier_2019.8.0.604197

Size:

du -ksh vtune_amplifier_2019.8.0.604197
264M    vtune_amplifier_2019.8.0.604197

Contents of the dir on linux

bin32
bin64
config
documentation
lib32
lib64
sepdk
sep_vars_busybox.sh
sep_vars.sh
system_analyzer
vpp

0 Kudos
Kirill_U_Intel
Employee

Let's check that collector is ok.

Could you run /home/<USER>/vtune_amplifier_2019.8.0.604197/bin64/amplxe-runss --context-value-list?

0 Kudos
Agarwal__Mayank
Beginner

/home/<USER>/vtune_amplifier_2019.8.0.604197/bin64/amplxe-runss: /lib64/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.9' not found (required by /home/<USER>/vtune_amplifier_2019.8.0.604197/bin64/amplxe-runss)
/home/<USER>/vtune_amplifier_2019.8.0.604197/bin64/amplxe-runss: /lib64/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.7' not found (required by /home/<USER>/vtune_amplifier_2019.8.0.604197/bin64/amplxe-runss)
/home/<USER>/vtune_amplifier_2019.8.0.604197/bin64/amplxe-runss: /lib64/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.8' not found (required by /home/<USER>/vtune_amplifier_2019.8.0.604197/bin64/amplxe-runss)
/home/<USER>/vtune_amplifier_2019.8.0.604197/bin64/amplxe-runss: /lib64/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.7' not found (required by /home/<USER>/vtune_amplifier_2019.8.0.604197/bin64/../lib64/libamplxe_libxml_2.9.so)

0 Kudos
Kirill_U_Intel
Employee

What is target system? What is version of glibc ' /lib64/libc.so.6  -v'?

0 Kudos
Vitaly_S_Intel
Employee

It looks like you're using pretty old Linux which is not supported by VTune. Which one is it?

Supported Linux targets in VTune 2019: https://software.intel.com/en-us/intel-vtune-amplifier-2019-release-notes-software-requirements-for-linux-hosts-targets

0 Kudos
Agarwal__Mayank
Beginner

Output for the command "/lib64/libc.so.6  -v"

GNU C Library stable release version 2.5, by Roland McGrath et al.
Copyright (C) 2006 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.
There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A
PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
Compiled by GNU CC version 4.1.2 20080704 (Red Hat 4.1.2-48).
Compiled on a Linux 2.6.9 system on 2010-10-22.

@Vitaly - Linux version

Description:    Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.5 (Tikanga)
Release:        5.5

0 Kudos
Vitaly_S_Intel
Employee

VTune 2019 supports RHEL 6 & 7. The problem is that VTune binaries are built on RHEL6 - so, they won't execute on RHEL5.

You probably need to take an older VTune version.

0 Kudos
Agarwal__Mayank
Beginner

Do you think you can point me to the relevant installer/download for VTune Profiler version?

0 Kudos