Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

Analyse python file from embedded python

Philippe_C_
Beginner

Hi, I would like have a python analysis for Python files executed from the C python API, like in this sample code adapted from https://docs.python.org/3/extending/embedding.html :

#define PY_SSIZE_T_CLEAN
#include <Python.h>

int
main(int argc, char *argv[])
{
	printf("before\n");
	wchar_t *program = Py_DecodeLocale(argv[0], NULL);
	if (program == NULL) {
		fprintf(stderr, "Fatal error: cannot decode argv[0]\n");
		exit(1);
	}
	Py_SetProgramName(program); 
	Py_Initialize();
	auto* f = fopen("f.py", "rb");
	auto r = PyRun_SimpleFile(f, "f.py");
	if (Py_FinalizeEx() < 0) {
		exit(120);
	}
	PyMem_RawFree(program);
	return 0;
}

When I use Hostspots analysis with user mode sampling and managed mode set to any of (auto, native, mixed), I only get the C/C++ functions. 

python37_d.dll ! PyEval_EvalFrameDefault - ceval.c
python37_d.dll ! PyEval_EvalCodeWithName + 0xaf3 - ceval.c:3930
python37_d.dll ! PyEval_EvalCodeEx + 0x95 - ceval.c:3959
python37_d.dll ! PyEval_EvalCode + 0x2d - ceval.c:524
python37_d.dll ! run_mod + 0x69 - pythonrun.c:1035
python37_d.dll ! PyRun_FileExFlags + 0x111 - pythonrun.c:988
python37_d.dll ! PyRun_SimpleFileExFlags + 0x4df - pythonrun.c:429
embed1.exe ! [embed1.exe] + 0x11a2f - [unknown source file]

It is possible to have the python file/stack analysis, and how ? Thank you

I use vtune 2020-60519 with Visual Studio 2017 on Windows.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
ArunJ_Intel

Hi Philippe

Vtune usually tend to point to cpp code abstracted beneath the python code. So it is expected behavior to get ony the  the C/C++ functions. We will check with experts on the possibility of a python file/stack analysis and get back to you.

Arun Jose

0 Kudos
Mayank_T_Intel
Employee

Hi Philippe.

There are some limitations with Python profiling in VTune. You can refer this https://software.intel.com/en-us/vtune-help-python-code-analysis for more details. I saw you are using Python 3. The best support from VTune is currently available for Python 2.6. Also, your application should have at least 2 Python functions in the stack otherwise VTune may show only native code profile data. If still you are having issues, please feel free to respond to the thread.

Thanks,

Mayank

0 Kudos
Mayank_T_Intel
Employee

Hi Philippe,

Has your issue been resolved? Can we close the thread?

Thanks,

Mayank

0 Kudos
Philippe_C_
Beginner

Hi Mayank,

You can close this thread, although my issue is not solved, as I must use Python 3. I will stay tuned for updated about Python 3 support. My final use case is to profile a Blender plugin. I just checked and I can confirm that vTune insists in showing only the C frames, although the Python stack is at least 6 python functions deep.

Philippe

0 Kudos
DrAmarpal_K_Intel

Hi Philippe,

I am going ahead and closing this case. We will no longer respond to this thread. If you require additional assistance from Intel, please start a new thread. Any further interaction in this thread will be considered community only.

0 Kudos