Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4995 Discussions

Black summary screen in VTune

kentrf
Beginner

Hi,

For the last weeks, I've encountered a black summary screen with Intel VTune, both standalone and Visual Studio plugin. It worked fine before both upgraded to VTune 2016 Update 2 and Visual Studio 2015 Update 2. OS is Windows 7.

Intel Inspector does not exhibit that problem in its summary screen. Attached is a screenshot.

Clicking in that screen, and then hitting Ctrl-A and Ctrl-C, allows me to paste the contents the summary in an editor like Notepad++ or Word. It's as if the default background color has been set to black and all text (text and links) are black too.

Are there anyone with similar problems?

I will try to revert back to VTune Update 1 to see if it also have problems. I know it worked before with Update 1.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Vitaly_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Kent,

Does it happen every time you open result? Or it happens sporadically?

0 Kudos
kentrf
Beginner

Hi,

It happens every time I open VTune. I've reverted back to Update 1, and it's still a black summary screen. It's been like that for about two weeks, and that's about when I upgraded to Visual Studio 2015 Update 2, and latest Parallel Studio XE 2016. I also upgraded some graphics drivers at that time.

I'm leaning towards buggy (but updated) graphics drivers. I'll experiment further.

0 Kudos
kentrf
Beginner

I can confirm the fault was with the graphics drivers. Process Explorer told me what DLLs where loaded with VTune, and it was the AMD drivers. I removed those drivers, and restarted VTune. Now it's using the Integrated Intel Graphics drivers without a hitch.

Both Update 1 and Update 2 works. Never trust Dell/AMD/ATi drivers...

0 Kudos
Vitaly_S_Intel
Employee

Good to know - thanks Kent for update!

0 Kudos