Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4995 Discussions

Can we create a new analysis type with VTune Amplifier XE command line interface

yeyangever
Beginner
Hello everyone,
I am running VTune Amplifier XE in command line. I wanted to use the "hardware event based sampling" to see the number of specific hardware events.
But there's only 4 build-in "hardware event based" analysis types:
nehalem_general-exploration
nehalem_cycles-uops
nehalem_frontend-investigation
nehalem_memory-access
But running four of these analysis, I cannot get the exact event I want to see. In GUI, there's configuration panel for you to "create a new analysis type" and select precisely the kind of events you want to include. But for command line, I cannot find correspond options to do so from the online document:
Can anyone tell me how to do it? Thank you!
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

Hello,

See my example: use example application from the product

1.export PATH=$PATH:/opt/intel/vtune_amplifier_xe_2011/bin64
2. cd /opt/intel/vtune_amplifier_xe_2011/sepdk/src/
3. ./build-driver
4../insmod-sep3
5.amplxe-cl -collect-list ; findpredefinedanalysis "nehalem_memory-access", which includes more events
6. cd /opt/intel/vtune_amplifier_xe_2011/samples/en
7.amplxe-cl -collect nehalem_memory-access -r r0006ma -- ./tachyon_analyze_locks
8.amplxe-cl -report pmu-events -r r0006ma -group-by function -filter module=tachyon_analyze_locks

All event should be displayed from outputs. Note that all related events are wrapped and showed as Analysis Type. Absolutely the user can see events from GUI, or define their favorite eventsto crearea new Analysis Type.

Regards, Peter

0 Kudos
yeyangever
Beginner
Hey Peter,
Thank you for the respond. According to your explanation, there seems no way to customer analysis types in command line (I haven't find it either). But I have tried four buit-in hw-events based analysis types, I found there are many less events listed by them than that is supported.
My processor is 32nm Xeon processor, therere totally around 100 events supported by these 4 analysis types I haven't take time to find duplication). But according to the online "Reference for Processor Events", there're many more. And actually I cannot find a lot of them from the result of the 4 analysis, for instance (just a random instance):
the group of:
L1D.PERL
L1D.M_PERL
L1D.M_EVICT
L1D.SNOOP_EVICT
I cannot find them.
Could you help telling if there is a way to make it work? Thank you!
0 Kudos
Mark_D_Intel
Employee
There is currently no way to create a new analysis type from the command line. However, new analysis types created in the GUI can be used from the command line.

Use -collect-list to see the analysis types, including ones created from the GUI.
0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
There is currently no way to create a new analysis type from the command line. However, new analysis types created in the GUI can be used from the command line.

Use -collect-list to see the analysis types, including ones created from the GUI.

This is exact story as Mark described above. Thanks Mark!

0 Kudos
explore_zjx
Beginner
Hi, yeyangever
I think that Peter has already answered your question.
you could create a new analysis type in the GUI mode, and then use it in the command-line mode.
I mean you could create a new analysis type such as named "cpu clk break". And you could add events which you are interesting in this new analysis type. Then you can switch to the command-line mode. Runamplxe-cl --collect-list command. You will see that the new analysis type "cpu clk break" is there. And you could use this type same as the predefined types.
0 Kudos