Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

Cannot load data file (data file is corrupted)

Ida_Norderhaug_D_

I just installed VTune Amplifier XE 2015. Trying to run the tachyon tutorial example I get the error: "Cannot load data file `D:\tmp\r000hs\data.0\7576-2976.0.trace' (Data file is corrupted)." I also get the warning: "Cannot find data to precompute. Skipping the precomputation step."

I tried to follow the instructions in this thread: https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/topic/279872. This did not help. I am running VTune Amplifier XE 2015 Update 1 through Visual Studio 2010 on Win7. Running as an administrator does not help. Changing results directory does not help. Disabling "high accurate cpu time" does not help.

Command line:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\VTune Amplifier XE 2015\bin32\amplxe-cl" -collect hotspots -app-working-dir D:\tmp --search-dir sym=C:\Users\INOD\Desktop\tmp_vtune\tachyon\vc10\find_hotspots_x64_Release --search-dir sym=C:\Users\INOD\Desktop\tmp_vtune\tachyon\vc10 --search-dir sym=srv*C:\Users\INOD\AppData\Local\Temp\SymbolCache --search-dir sym=srv*C:\Users\INOD\AppData\Local\Temp\SymbolCache*http:\\msdl.microsoft.com\download\symbols --search-dir sym=C:\Users\INOD\Desktop\tmp_vtune\tachyon\vc10\analyze_locks_x64_Release -- C:\Users\INOD\Desktop\tmp_vtune\tachyon\vc10\find_hotspots_x64_Release\find_hotspots.exe

0 Kudos
31 Replies
Vladimir_R_Intel
Employee

Hello Ida,

Could you please attach a broken result and corresponding logs from the %TEMP%\amplxe-log-<user>?

Also I see a strange working dir '-app-working-dir D:\tmp', please check in find_hotspots project properties that the "Working Directory" field is set to $(ProjectDir) and then retry your experiment.

BR, Vladimir

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

Do you have AV software active during VTune analysis?

0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

I noticed that you didn't specify result directory, as default result dir will be generated in current dir. Probably if your current dir is "C:\Program Files (x86)" or its sub-directories, the result could not be generated smoothly because of written-permission.

So, you might do:

1. cd C:\Users\INOD\Desktop\tmp_vtune\tachyon\vc10\find_hotspots_x64_Release ; generate result dir under current dir

2. "C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\VTune Amplifier XE 2015\bin32\amplxe-cl" -collect hotspots --search-dir=C:\Users\INOD\Desktop\tmp_vtune\tachyon\ -- find_hotspots.exe

Or, (under any directory)

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\VTune Amplifier XE 2015\bin32\amplxe-cl" -collect hotspots --search-dir=C:\Users\INOD\Desktop\tmp_vtune\tachyon\ -r C:\Users\INOD\Desktop\tmp_vtune\tachyon\vc10\find_hotspots_x64_Release\r001hs -- C:\Users\INOD\Desktop\tmp_vtune\tachyon\vc10\find_hotspots_x64_Release\find_hotspots.exe

0 Kudos
Ida_Norderhaug_D_

VLADIMIR R. (Intel) wrote:

Hello Ida,

Could you please attach a broken result and corresponding logs from the %TEMP%\amplxe-log-<user>?

Also I see a strange working dir '-app-working-dir D:\tmp', please check in find_hotspots project properties that the "Working Directory" field is set to $(ProjectDir) and then retry your experiment.

BR, Vladimir

I tried to change the working directory to see if it helps. I get the same error with the project directory as working directory. 

Log:  2015-01-15-Thu-10-25-48-920.amplxe-runss.exe_.zip

Other: 446880

0 Kudos
Ida_Norderhaug_D_

iliyapolak wrote:

Yes. I do not have permission to administrate the AV software on my computer. Is there a way to check whether this is the problem?

0 Kudos
Ida_Norderhaug_D_

Peter Wang (Intel) wrote:

I noticed that you didn't specify result directory, as default result dir will be generated in current dir. Probably if your current dir is "C:\Program Files (x86)" or its sub-directories, the result could not be generated smoothly because of written-permission.

So, you might do:

1. cd C:\Users\INOD\Desktop\tmp_vtune\tachyon\vc10\find_hotspots_x64_Release ; generate result dir under current dir

2. "C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\VTune Amplifier XE 2015\bin32\amplxe-cl" -collect hotspots --search-dir=C:\Users\INOD\Desktop\tmp_vtune\tachyon\ -- find_hotspots.exe

Or, (under any directory)

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\VTune Amplifier XE 2015\bin32\amplxe-cl" -collect hotspots --search-dir=C:\Users\INOD\Desktop\tmp_vtune\tachyon\ -r C:\Users\INOD\Desktop\tmp_vtune\tachyon\vc10\find_hotspots_x64_Release\r001hs -- C:\Users\INOD\Desktop\tmp_vtune\tachyon\vc10\find_hotspots_x64_Release\find_hotspots.exe

I get the same error as before:

C:\Users\INOD\Desktop\tmp_vtune\tachyon\vc10\find_hotspots_x64_Release>"C:\Progr
am Files (x86)\Intel\VTune Amplifier XE 2015\bin32\amplxe-cl" -collect hotspots
--search-dir=C:\Users\INOD\Desktop\tmp_vtune\tachyon\ -- find_hotspots.exe
amplxe: Collection started. To stop the collection, either press CTRL-C or enter
 from another console window: amplxe-cl -r C:\Users\INOD\Desktop\tmp_vtune\tachy
on\vc10\find_hotspots_x64_Release\r002hs -command stop.
amplxe: Collection stopped.
amplxe: Using result path `C:\Users\INOD\Desktop\tmp_vtune\tachyon\vc10\find_hot
spots_x64_Release\r002hs'
amplxe: Executing actions 14 % Loading data files
amplxe: Error: Cannot load data file `C:\Users\INOD\Desktop\tmp_vtune\tachyon\vc
10\find_hotspots_x64_Release\r002hs\data.0\4460-4728.0.trace' (Data file is corr
upted).
amplxe: Executing actions 34 % Precomputing frequently used data
amplxe: Warning: Cannot find data to precompute. Skipping the precomputation ste
p.
amplxe: Executing actions 50 % Generating a report

Collection and Platform Info
----------------------------
Parameter                 r002hs
------------------------  -------------------------
Application Command Line  find_hotspots.exe
Operating System          Microsoft Windows 7
Computer Name             OSLLP120409.verit.dnv.com
Result Size               1424440
Collection start time     08:54:44 15/01/2015 UTC
Collection stop time      08:54:45 15/01/2015 UTC

CPU
---
Parameter          r002hs
-----------------  ---------------------------------------
Name               Intel(R) Core(TM) Processor 2xxx Series
Logical CPU Count  4

Summary
-------
Elapsed Time:  0.000
amplxe: Executing actions 100 % done

0 Kudos
Vladimir_R_Intel
Employee

Ida Norderhaug D. wrote:

Quote:

Hello Ida,

Could you please attach a broken result and corresponding logs from the %TEMP%\amplxe-log-<user>?

Also I see a strange working dir '-app-working-dir D:\tmp', please check in find_hotspots project properties that the "Working Directory" field is set to $(ProjectDir) and then retry your experiment.

BR, Vladimir

I tried to change the working directory to see if it helps. I get the same error with the project directory as working directory.

Other: Download 2015-01-15-Thu-10-18-41-118.amplxe-cl.exe_.zip

Ida, please upload your result.

0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

@ Ida Norderhaug D

Probably the problem was caused by Virus or AV software, you can try hotspsots in other machine or you use advanced-hotspots instead of hotspots as a temp workaround.

0 Kudos
Robert_L_Intel1
Employee

Hi Ida - If you get a chance, could you please try adding the following to your command line:

-run-pass-thru=-timestamp=sys

Simplified example so you get idea:

amplxe-cl -collect hotspots -run-pass-thru=-timestamp=sys -- <application>

This might help narrow the issue a bit.

0 Kudos
Ida_Norderhaug_D_

Quote:

Ida Norderhaug D. wrote:

Quote:

Hello Ida,

BR, Vladimir

Other: Download 2015-01-15-Thu-10-18-41-118.amplxe-cl.exe_.zip

Ida, please upload your result.

Do you mean this one?

0 Kudos
Ida_Norderhaug_D_

@ Ida Norderhaug D

Probably the problem was caused by Virus or AV software, you can try hotspsots in other machine or you use advanced-hotspots instead of hotspots as a temp workaround.

Advanced hotspots seems to work. Why would the AV software stop the basic hotspots analysis? By the way, a colleague managed to run the basic hotspots analysis just fine. We should have the same AV software and settings.

0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

Ida Norderhaug D. wrote:

Quote:

@ Ida Norderhaug D

Advanced hotspots seems to work. Why would the AV software stop the basic hotspots analysis? By the way, a colleague managed to run the basic hotspots analysis just fine. We should have the same AV software and settings.

It is not only for AV software, your system might be influenced by other 3rd-party software, the reason is that ntdll.dll was patched by such software, so VTune Amplifier has no way to instrument patched ntdll.dll. 

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

Ida Norderhaug D. wrote:

Quote:

iliyapolak wrote:

Yes. I do not have permission to administrate the AV software on my computer. Is there a way to check whether this is the problem?

Usually you can disable any real time protection and rerun the tests. More advanced option can be usage of windows debugger metacommand !chkimge in order to find ReadFile and WriteFile hooks.

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

>>>the reason is that ntdll.dll was patched by such software, so VTune Amplifier has no way to instrument patched ntdll.dll. >>>

So the problem is related to hooked ntdll.dll?

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

>>>More advanced option can be usage of windows debugger metacommand !chkimge in order to find ReadFile and WriteFile hooks.>>>

Btw ReadFile and WriteFile resides in NTDLL.DLL module.

0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

iliyapolak wrote:

>>>the reason is that ntdll.dll was patched by such software, so VTune Amplifier has no way to instrument patched ntdll.dll. >>>

So the problem is related to hooked ntdll.dll?

Yes. Hardware PMU event-based sampling has no such issue. Only user-based sampling collections dynamically instrument ntdll.dll in process memory. If ntdll.dll is not original one, or says if it is hooked by 3rd-party module, VTune has no idea to know returned address in other software, I guess.

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

I suppose when ntdll.dll is hooked  then VTune instrumentation code will not be able to place its own hooks in order to intercept data and/or intercepted function(s) arguments. Windows debugger can quickly check any module for installed hooks or inline trampoline jumps.

0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

Windows debugger can quickly check any module for installed hooks or inline trampoline jumps.

You can find that ntdll.dll was influenced, but it is hard to restore original one. Sometime AV software can be stopped, and original ntdll.dll can work but I'm not sure....Using advanced-hotspots instead is a workaround.

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

>>>You can find that ntdll.dll was influenced, but it is hard to restore original one. Sometime AV software can be stopped, and original ntdll.dll can work but I'm not sure.>>>

There are available unhooking tools, but those tools need original copy of non-hooked ntdll.dll in order to successfully remove hooks.

0 Kudos
Ida_Norderhaug_D_

Thank you so much for your help. This is becoming a bit advanced for me though. So I should check for hooks, and if I find them we need to find a way to remove them? A short guide on how to check for hooks would help. Thanks!

0 Kudos