Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4998 Discussions

Cannot run advance analysis

yinghai
Beginner
Hi, I downloaded the evalusation version of vTune amplifier 2011 update 3 for Linux. After installation, I was able to run algorithm analysis (hotspots and etc.) However, when I tried to run the advanced analysis for Intel Core 2, I got the following error:
Problem connecting to PMU reservation service (PAX). May need to (re)install PAX driver with appropriate group/file permissions.
Error: Failed to unreserve PMU resources.
Error in sampling collector. Error code - 162
I have no idea what is going wrong. My CPU isIntel Xeon CPU E5405 @ 2.00GHz. Does anyone have the similar experience and know how to resovle it? Thanks.
0 Kudos
1 Solution
David_A_Intel1
Employee
Did you install as 'root' or via sudo? In order to use advanced analysis types, you must have the driver loaded and this requires root privileges. The Amplifier XE includes a small list of prebuilt drivers for standard shipping kernels, e.g., RHEL5.6. If a driver for your kernel is not included, you must build it. To build it, you must have the kernel-devel RPMs installed.

If you are root, try this:
  1. 'lsmod | grep sep3' to determine if the driver is loaded.
  2. if not loaded, cd to /opt/intel/vtune_amplifier_xe_2011/sepdk/prebuilt and execute './insmod_sep3 -g ', where is the group of users that should have access to the kernel module driver.
  3. if no prebuilt driver is available for the kernel you are running, cd to ../src and execute './build-driver', accepting all the defaults. if a driver successfully builds, execute insmod-sep3 per instructions in step 2. if driver does not build, ensure that kernel sources are available and configured correctly (see README).
BTW, if the driver installed successfully during install, the default group is 'vtune'. Thus, you must belong to the vtune group to access the driver. You can use the rmmod-sep3 and insmod-sep3 scripts to change the group (see ./insmod-sep3 -h for help).

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
David_A_Intel1
Employee
Did you install as 'root' or via sudo? In order to use advanced analysis types, you must have the driver loaded and this requires root privileges. The Amplifier XE includes a small list of prebuilt drivers for standard shipping kernels, e.g., RHEL5.6. If a driver for your kernel is not included, you must build it. To build it, you must have the kernel-devel RPMs installed.

If you are root, try this:
  1. 'lsmod | grep sep3' to determine if the driver is loaded.
  2. if not loaded, cd to /opt/intel/vtune_amplifier_xe_2011/sepdk/prebuilt and execute './insmod_sep3 -g ', where is the group of users that should have access to the kernel module driver.
  3. if no prebuilt driver is available for the kernel you are running, cd to ../src and execute './build-driver', accepting all the defaults. if a driver successfully builds, execute insmod-sep3 per instructions in step 2. if driver does not build, ensure that kernel sources are available and configured correctly (see README).
BTW, if the driver installed successfully during install, the default group is 'vtune'. Thus, you must belong to the vtune group to access the driver. You can use the rmmod-sep3 and insmod-sep3 scripts to change the group (see ./insmod-sep3 -h for help).
0 Kudos
yinghai
Beginner
i installed the vtune via sudo. "lsmod | grep sep3" shows that the driver is loaded. I added my account to vtune group. But the same error still occurs.
0 Kudos
David_A_Intel1
Employee
did you log out and back in after adding yourself to the group? it doesn't take effect until you do.
0 Kudos
yinghai
Beginner
I logged out and retried. It works now. Thank you!
0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
I tried current VTune Amplifier on Windows7 X64, thinking it should be no more difficult than linux. Think again! How on earth to we follow up on this "failed to connect...(PAX).. check if drive is loaded with permissions" hint, when rebooting and "run as administrator" make no difference?
I can run the General analysis category on an installation on a 5 year old core 2 duo laptop, but not on a 3 year old core I7 desktop.
When I try "re-resolve" in an effort to drill down to source or asm (code compiled with mingw or ifort debug), it hangs on the Core I7, but not on the old laptop.
0 Kudos
David_A_Intel1
Employee
Hi Tim:

Maybe you could be a little more clear? So, you installed, as an Administrator, which release of VTune Amplifier XE? Did you receive any messages during the install, e.g., warnings or errors?

When you say "not on a 3 year old core I7 desktop", what do you mean? Does it display a message, or does it run and not collect any data, or...? Is your desktop on the network domain? I assume your laptop is.

I don't believe mingw is supported (see supported development environments in the Release Notes). I think I've tried to use it in the past and it didn't work.

Which version of ifort did you use?
0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
It's VTune amplifier XE update 4. Compilers are ifort 12.0.5/icc/12.0.5 "composer XE 2011."
No warnings on install or repair. Will try removing and re-installing by "run as administrator" if that's recommended, but other XE software automatically invokes admin permission request at install.
Desktop has no access to a domain, laptop has domain access by VPN only.
On the core I7, attempting to start the advanced/general category produces the immediate PMU failure.
We suspected mingw wouldn't work due to different debug symbol formats, but the Intel compilers have the same problem. Long ago, VTune did work with cygwin builds.
0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
The problem may be associated with failing to clean up automatically old VTune related installations.

Upon removing all such programs appearing in program add/remove, and re-installing, normal behavior with Intel compiled applications was achieved. The mingw application still provokes the PMU/PAX failure report.
0 Kudos