Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4992 Discussions

Cannot use default project in console version: Unable to use the specified project file

Alexander_Zaykov
Beginner
Hello!
I have a problem with console version of VTune on Linux.

I've installed non-commerce version of VTune, but when i try to use any command with vtl, it returns:

$ vtl show
VTune Performance Analyzer 9.1 for Linux*. FOR NON-COMMERCIAL USE ONLY build 432
Copyright (C) 2000-2009 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.

Unable to use the specified project file:

$

When i create any project file with VTune for Windows and use it on Linux, i see:

$ vtl project ~/VTune/Projects/VTProject1.vpj
VTune Performance Analyzer 9.1 for Linux*. FOR NON-COMMERCIAL USE ONLY build 432

The specified file is not a valid project file.

I've cleaned up all temporary directories used by VTune (vtune_global , ~/VTune , /tmp/vtune_user), but problem returns.

install.sh returns only one problem:

The current distribution of Linux on this system is Debian GNU/Linux 5.0

This platform has not been validated with the VTune Performance Analyzer 9.1 for Linux*.
It may work, but it is not supported.

The VTune Performance Analyzer 9.1 for Linux* was validated on
Red Hat* Enterprise Linux* 3.0 Update 9, 4.0 Update 8, 5.0 Update 4, 5, Fedora* 11, 12,
SuSE* 10.0, Linux* Enterprise Server (SLES) 9.0 Service Pack 4, 10 Service Pack 3, 11.0,
Ubuntu* 9.04, 9.10 and Debian 4.0r3, 5.0
Proceed with the install? ( Yes/No ) [ No ]: yes

Please, how can i solve this problem?
Thanks!
0 Kudos
5 Replies
David_A_Intel1
Employee
Hi Alexander:

If you are still getting the "Unable to use the specified project file" message, what would be interesting is to execute the 'vtl query -project' command and see what the analyzer *thinks* is the project.

You see, after installation, it will create a default command line project in ~/VTune. If there are any limitations on your account's ability to write to that location, it would cause problems.

Please execute the above command and tell us what the output is.
0 Kudos
Alexander_Zaykov
Beginner
MrAnderson, thanks for your reply.

I thought about this, but the result of this command is similar with earlier:

$ vtl query -project

Project file: Using the default project

Unable to use the specified project file:

But when i try to reset project to default, it returns success:

$ vtl project -default

The default project has been selected.

Unfortunately, it doesn't make things better.

Default directory ~/VTune doesn't have any limitations to write. I had removed this directory and I had changed default directory by setting environment variables VTUNE_USER_DIR and VTUNE_GLOBAL_DIR, but resultat is similar.

Any ideas?
0 Kudos
kkboyanov
Beginner
Hello,

I have a similar problem when trying to run vtl. The query returns a default project file in ~/VTune/Projects/vtldefault.vpj, but even if I try to run

# vtl project ~/VTune/Projects/vtldefault.vpj run

I get "The specified file is not a valid project file." error.

In my environment I also observe similar warning about non-validate linux distribution and I ignore it during installation. Another warning however looks more suspicios when running the above command, namely:

"Warning: the following directories are network-mounted:
- user data directory (~/)
This may negatively affect VTune performance!"

Can the fact that my $HOME is mounted on an AFS volume cause such errors?

Regards,
Konstantin
0 Kudos
kkboyanov
Beginner
Just a small question - what is held in this project file anyways?
0 Kudos
David_A_Intel1
Employee
Hi kkboy:

You can't "run" the project. Instead, you must create an activity and run it. For example:
$ vtl activity -d 5 -c sampling run

This created an activity that will collect sampling data, using the default events for the processor it is running on, for five seconds and then "runs" that activity. Try executing that command and see what happens.

Yes, a $HOME on an AFS casues such warnings. You are free to ignore the warning, but it "may negatively affect VTune [analyzer] performance!" The directories that are important to the VTune analyzer should all be on local disks for performance reasons. Sampling is collecting 1000 samples or more a second (more when more than one event is configured) and then has to periodically dump those to disk. Trying to write data to a non-local disk means you may miss some samples due to the latency of the write.
0 Kudos