Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

Capturing program stdout

David_T_1
Beginner

Does the VTune gui capture program stdout in its reports anywhere? I need to check that the optimisations I am performing are not changing the results but I can't see them from the gui. At the moment they're being printed to stdout in the terminal from which I ran amplxe-gui which isn't ideal, so I was just wondering if there was another way of capturing them.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Ekaterina_L_Intel

Hi David,

You need to specify the application output destination to "Product output window" in the VTune/Options/General settings.

Options.png

Then your program output will be logged in the "Collection Log" tab in the "Application Output" at the bottom.

Regards, Katya

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Ekaterina_L_Intel

Hi David,

You need to specify the application output destination to "Product output window" in the VTune/Options/General settings.

Options.png

Then your program output will be logged in the "Collection Log" tab in the "Application Output" at the bottom.

Regards, Katya

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

Output redirection may be more convenient if you set up your test run in a script. Unfortunately, the combination of saving these data along with vtune collection may affect performance.

Normally, I would expect to check program modifications separately before running tune.

0 Kudos
David_T_1
Beginner

Superb, that's the option I was missing!

Thanks for that

David

0 Kudos