Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4995 Discussions

Collect data under Linux, view under Windows?

Deleted_U_Intel
Employee
Hi,

I'm able to collect activity data for my application
running under Linux.

Unfortunately the Windows machines in our organization
are on another network.

I'm wondering if I can redirect some output (under Linux)
to a file and get VTune on a Windows machine to read
that file. That way I can "sneakernet" my data to
a place I hope I could view it graphically.

So, for instance, I would do the following:
vtl view -ha -mn PatternFile_ut > output.txt

Will this work?
Any pointers for me?

thanks,

John Roberts
john_roberts@credence.com
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Daniel_B_Intel2
Employee
John,

The feature you are looking for exists. It is "pack & Go".

do
> vtl pack filename

you'll get "filename.vxp" file.

Transfer this file somehow to the drive that the Windows Box has the access, and do "File -> Unpack" in VTune 7.X.

Actually this is the best way currently available to see and analyze results.

Please be aware that only the whole project can be packed (no separate activity results can be chosen for the pack). That?s why I recommend you to open "new projects" using the VTUNE_USER_DIR (see my replay to your previous post)

-Daniel

0 Kudos
Daniel_B_Intel2
Employee

John,

Linux executable and source files are needed to drill down to the source view (or disassemble).

For the sampling collection the unpack should be enough to show symbols for "modules of interest" and the modules that were drilled down to on the box where the collection was done.

use "-moi" flag to specifythe modules you 'd like to see symbols when you collect your data on Linux if you pack right after the collection.

(like vtl activity -c sampling -app path_to_application -moi module1 -moi module2 -moi path_to_application ........ run)

-Daniel

0 Kudos
chester_grimmes
Beginner
Hi,

To follow-up on his question.

Is there a way to collect data from VTune remotely from Windows, while the target is a Linux computer? (not pack & go, but collect remotely)

I found docummentation for the case when both are Linux:
http://www.intel.com/software/products/documentation/vlin/mergedProjects/analyzer_ec/remotedc_hh/an_collecting_remote_data_on_linux__systems_vtl.htm

Thanks
0 Kudos