Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

Collection failure of General Exploration of vtune tutorial (VTune Amplifier 2018 trial version)

Wu__Tsung-Hsiang
Beginner

Hi, recently I followed the vtune tutorial as below to observe the hardware-related issues but I encountered some running error that I cannot figure it out. Hope someone here could give me certain suggestions to resolve it if you have had the same experience before.

https://software.intel.com/en-us/vtuneampxe_hwissues_lin_c

kernel: 3.10.0-514.26.2.el7.x86_64

To collect the event-based metrics, I was asked to install the sampling driver for collecting hardware information as link below mentioned. The installation is very smooth and nothing error.

https://software.intel.com/en-us/vtune-amplifier-help-building-and-installing-the-sampling-drivers-for-linux-targets#GUID-5CCF4158-1740-43B6-8BE5-2D8EB0FB088C

But in vtune tutorial of  General Exploration, the collection log showed me error message as below

"Collection failed. Apr 25 2018 15:08:59 Collection failed. The data cannot be displayed" 

and I have no idea what was wrong with my edition since I just went through all the steps of that tutorial. Does anyone meet the same problem as me? How did you resolve it?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Shailen_Sobhee
Employee

Hello,

A VTune collection will create a directory (which we refer as result directory). It will have a default naming format as r000ge (the three numbers are auto-incrementing, and ge=general exploration).

Could you please upload that result directory so we can investigate what went wrong with General Exploration?

Also, how about a Basic Hotspot - do you see results displayed?

Thanks,

Shailen

0 Kudos
Wu__Tsung-Hsiang
Beginner

Hi. Shailen

Thanks for your reply and the basic-hot-spots/lock-and-wait are executed normally. But hardware-issues/disk-io failed to run due to some reasons that I cannot understand. I'm still finding some solutions(ex: perf tool) to take replace if possible.

Please take a look at the attached file. 

Btw,  this morning I ran it again and error message showed as below

"Collection failed

Apr 26 2018 08:53:19 Collection failed. The data cannot be displayed.

To profile kernel modules during the session, make sure they are available in the /lib/modules/kernel_version location

Failed to execute sep process. Data collection is interrupted."

kernel: 3.10.0-514.26.2.el7.x86_64

0 Kudos