Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4992 Discussions

Command Line with Use MPI launcher inserts -result instead of -result-dir

Filipiak__Mark
Beginner

Intel(R) VTune(TM) Amplifier 2018 Update 3 (build 558279); Linux 3.10.0-693.21.1.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP

There appears to be a bug in the Command Line generation when using Arbitrary Targets and Use MPI launcher (described in https://software.intel.com/en-us/vtune-amplifier-help-arbitrary-targets). ; In the GUI, ticking Use MPI launcher gives the option to change the results directory with the Result location field.  Setting this to (e.g.) vtune, and then on the Analysis page selecting Command Line, gives the following in the dialog box as the command line to use (for a particular case):

mpirun -n 1 -gtool "amplxe-cl -collect hotspots -data-limit=0 -result vtune:0" /home/dc-fili1/gandalf/bin/gandalf DiRAC/$input.dat

This command line gives the error:

Unknown option: -result

-result should be -result-dir

Mark

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Dmitry_P_Intel1
Employee

Hello Mark,

Good catch! We will fix this in one of upcoming releases.

BTW - have you found this capability to generate MPI CL useful in general?

Thank you, Regards, Dmitry

0 Kudos
Filipiak__Mark
Beginner

Thanks Dmitry,

I've just started using Amplifier and the CL and MPI CL generation from the GUI is very useful.  I have been using the CL generation (and now the MPI CL generation) because I am using Amplifier on a shared cluster with a batch system, so the GUI isn't appropriate for the collection step.

One thing you may consider adding in a future version of Amplifier is automated numbering (i.e. @@@ and {at}) of the result directories in the MPI CL.

Mark

0 Kudos