Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
5001 Discussions

Couple of silly Linux-related bugs

Anton_B_
Beginner

Hi.

I bumped into two silly bugs in the Linux version of VTune while analyzing performance of my application. I managed to workaround both bugs, so no help needed. I just would like to make a bug report. If this forum is not the right place to do this, please point me in the right direction.

1) install.sh fails if path to installation files contains space characters, e.g.:

abv@search-test01:~/Intel VTune/vtune_amplifier_xe_2016_update2$ sudo ./install.sh
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Initializing, please wait...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
bash: line 0: export: `VTune/vtune_amplifier_xe_2016_update2/./pset/32e/../tools': not a valid identifier
bash: /home/abv/Intel: No such file or directory
Something wrong with package. Please go to
http://www.intel.com/software/products/support/ for your support options.
Press "Enter" key to quit:

2) Analysis target “remote linux (ssh)” handles application parameters incorrectly. If application parameters contain arguments like "-r value", then these arguments will not be passed to analyzed application.

For example, let’s assume we are analyzing an application called test_args with application parameters "-a value1 -r value2 -c value3". After analysis is started, htop/ps utilities reveal that the application started as "/home/abv/test_args -a value1 -c value3", i.e. "-r value2" part magically vanished. It also shows that the analyzed application was started by VTune Data Collection tool with following arguments:

/opt/intel/vtune_amplifier_xe_2016.2.0.444464/bin64/amplxe-runss \
  --result-dir /tmp/amplxe-results-abv/abv_search-test01/tmp2nkmgo/r001hs \
  --option-file /tmp/abv@search-test01_r001hs.opts

Contents of the option file /tmp/abv@search-test01_r001hs.opts:

--tmp-dir
/tmp/tmp2nkmgo
--ui-output-format
xml
--compression=0
--stack-stitching
--data-limit-mb=500
--follow-child
--itt-config=frame
--stackwalk=offline
--mrte-mode=auto
--mrte-type=java
--type=cpu:counters:nostack
--type=cpu:stack
--interval=10
--
/home/abv/test_args
-a
value1
-c
value3

I think that since path to result directory is passed to VTune Data Collection tool as command-line parameter -r/--result-dir while all other parameters  are passed through option file (including path to analyzed application with its own parameters), some code tries to ensure that option file does not contain -r option (so it will not accidentally override result directory), and bluntly removes all -r parameters from option file without distinction between VTune parameters and analyzed application parameters.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Ekaterina_L_Intel

Thanks, Anton!

Both issues are  in VTune's product defect database and will be addressed in future releases. Please notice that installer doesn’t support path with spaces on Linux, and will provide user-friendly message in this case.

Regards, Katya

0 Kudos