Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4998 Discussions

Crashes during setup of first profile under CentOS 5.2

bathmatt
Beginner
When i try to do the example in the getting started guide vtlec dies with a java error. This happens when i click finish on the add tuning utility->first use wizzard. I get the following error in the window i started vtlec in.

gonzales@ted ~]$ vtlec
java: config_n_control.cpp:582: signed int TBSInitDriver(): Assertion `dwConfigID == 0' failed.

This is a completely stock, fully updated CentOS 5.2 system, it also happens on a 5.3 laptop and other 5.2 systems.

Thanks

Also, when the program diesa popup window says
VM terminated. Exit code=1
/opt/intel/eclipsepackage/3.2.1/jrockit-R27.2.0-jre1.5.0_10/bin/java
-Dosgi.splashLocation=/opt/intel/eclipsepackage/3.2.1/eclipse/plugins/com.intel.sdp.primary_2.0.4/splash.bmp
-Dosgi.sharedConfiguration.area=/opt/intel/vtune/bin/../shared/eclipse/configuration
-jar /opt/intel/eclipsepackage/3.2.1/eclipse/startup.jar
-os linux
-ws gtk
-arch x86
-launcher /opt/intel/eclipsepackage/3.2.1/eclipse/eclipse
-name Eclipse
-showsplash 600
-exitdata c8007
-product com.intel.sdp.primary.product
-perspective com.intel.vtune.shell.tuningPerspective
-vm /opt/intel/eclipsepackage/3.2.1/jrockit-R27.2.0-jre1.5.0_10/bin/java
-vmargs
-Dosgi.splashLocation=/opt/intel/eclipsepackage/3.2.1/eclipse/plugins/com.intel.sdp.primary_2.0.4/splash.bmp
-Dosgi.sharedConfiguration.area=/opt/intel/vtune/bin/../shared/eclipse/configuration
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
Quoting - bathmatt
When i try to do the example in the getting started guide vtlec dies with a java error. This happens when i click finish on the add tuning utility->first use wizzard. I get the following error in the window i started vtlec in.

gonzales@ted ~]$ vtlec
java: config_n_control.cpp:582: signed int TBSInitDriver(): Assertion `dwConfigID == 0' failed.

This is a completely stock, fully updated CentOS 5.2 system, it also happens on a 5.3 laptop and other 5.2 systems.

Thanks

Also, when the program diesa popup window says
VM terminated. Exit code=1
/opt/intel/eclipsepackage/3.2.1/jrockit-R27.2.0-jre1.5.0_10/bin/java
-os linux
-ws gtk
-arch x86
-launcher /opt/intel/eclipsepackage/3.2.1/eclipse/eclipse
-name Eclipse
-showsplash 600
-exitdata c8007
-product com.intel.sdp.primary.product
-perspective com.intel.vtune.shell.tuningPerspective
-vm /opt/intel/eclipsepackage/3.2.1/jrockit-R27.2.0-jre1.5.0_10/bin/java
-vmargs

I just check several things ( note that VTune Analyzer can't work under Virtual Environment for Linux*,like as VMWare*, etc)

1. If vtune driver has been loaded in the system - by using "lsmod| grep vtune"
2. If you can usevtl command line instead of vtlec- e.g. "vtl activity -c sampling -d 10 run"
3. If vtl can work, you can use "vtl view a1::r1 -gui" to view result. Note that you have to work in X-Window terminal.
4. Try other supported JRE in release notes - I don't if there is any limitation for default JRE 1.5.0, try higher version?

Regards, Peter
0 Kudos
bathmatt
Beginner

I just check several things ( note that VTune Analyzer can't work under Virtual Environment for Linux*,like as VMWare*, etc)
I am not in a virtual machine

1. If vtune driver has been loaded in the system - by using "lsmod| grep vtune"

/sbin/lsmod | grep vtune
vtune_drv 267764 0

2. If you can usevtl command line instead of vtlec- e.g. "vtl activity -c sampling -d 10 run"

mordred:tmp% vtl activity -c sampling -app a.out -d 10 run
VTune Performance Analyzer 9.1 for Linux*. FOR NON-COMMERCIAL USE ONLY build 226
Copyright (C) 2000-2009 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.

The Activity has been successfully created.
The Activity is running.
1 Error creating new thread errno: 12
*** pthread_create failed with 'not enough memory' !!!
*** process /opt/intel/vtune/shared/bin/vtl.bin EXITING !!!

3. If vtl can work, you can use "vtl view a1::r1 -gui" to view result. Note that you have to work in X-Window terminal.
4. Try other supported JRE in release notes - I don't if there is any limitation for default JRE 1.5.0, try higher version?

Regards, Peter

So, i pasted the results in the qotes message. It looks like vtl is dieing, it is stating not enough memory. Any idea on why this is happening.?? I have 8G of ram, limits are set for unlimited mem usage, 512M stack size

VTune Performance Analyzer 9.1 for Linux*. FOR NON-COMMERCIAL USE ONLY build 226

The Activity is running.
0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

Regards, Peter
As Peter hinted, you may need the Sun jre 1.6 for CentOS 5.2 (linux 64 version, if it is the x86_64 64-bit CentOS).
This requirement is known, for certain Intel products (at least for Red Hat 5.2), and I don't know why Intel declined to document it.
Your VTune must also be the Intel64 version, if you have x86_64. The installer should take care of that if you run it normally.
If, when you type "java," you get gcj, because /usr/bin/java is a symlink to gcj, you must remove that symlink (preferably before installing the updated jre). This problem may not occur until CentOS 5.3.
Anyway, when you type "java -version," you must see something like (for the 64-bit OS):
java version "1.6.0"
IcedTea Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0-b09)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 1.6.0-b09, mixed mode)

0 Kudos
bathmatt
Beginner
Quoting - tim18
As Peter hinted, you may need the Sun jre 1.6 for CentOS 5.2 (linux 64 version, if it is the x86_64 64-bit CentOS).
This requirement is known, for certain Intel products (at least for Red Hat 5.2), and I don't know why Intel declined to document it.
Your VTune must also be the Intel64 version, if you have x86_64. The installer should take care of that if you run it normally.
If, when you type "java," you get gcj, because /usr/bin/java is a symlink to gcj, you must remove that symlink (preferably before installing the updated jre). This problem may not occur until CentOS 5.3.
Anyway, when you type "java -version," you must see something like (for the 64-bit OS):
java version "1.6.0"
IcedTea Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0-b09)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 1.6.0-b09, mixed mode)

Thanks for the suggestion. i have tried the 64 bit java with the override env var. However, it looks like the problem isn't with java but with vlc itself.

The Activity is running.
0 Kudos