Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

Current VTune dll issue

Bruce_Weaver
Beginner

Hi,

I think this seems to be a recurring problem.  I just installed the latest OneAPI with VTune.  It has me chasing after missing DLLs.  I installed a couple in random places with a bit of success but couldn't figure out where it wanted them and, after a while, couldn't install the next missing DLL.  I gather his has been an ongoing issue.  Windows10 ('cause I hate windows11).  Maybe if I install an older version stand alone?  But can't install another because  it knows I have the more recent one & will not let me uninstall it individually.  Brand new conmputer with OneAPI & VTune in mind.  First of all, where does it look for them?  It doesn't seem to like them in the Path for VTune.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
yuzhang3_intel

Did you mean you can't install VTune successfully due to some DLLs missing? Could you install the VTune stand-alone version?

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/developer/tools/oneapi/vtune-profiler-download.html

0 Kudos
Bruce_Weaver
Beginner

No.  It installs fine. It starts fine.  It will not successfully run because of missing DLLs which are on the computer.  IMoving the existing DLLs around seems to help a bit but not well enough for it to function.  The Forum threads seem to state it is a recurring problem with the new VTune.  Help!

0 Kudos
yuzhang3_intel

Could you run the self-check utility for VTune checking first and see if there are missing DLLs? We can then check if the DLLs are related to VTune.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\oneAPI\vtune\latest\bin64>vtune-self-checker.bat

0 Kudos
Bruce_Weaver
Beginner

Why didn't I think to run that?

Anyway,  First few tests are ok, then it lists a bunch of complaints, I don't see DLLs listed before it quickly blows off. Is there a standard way to collect a log of its output?

Then I tried to run it as Admin (as it suggested) & it gave me a blue screen.

0 Kudos
yuzhang3_intel

After the self-check utility is executed, you can get detailed logs in the log location, like below. The utility will verify the VTune installation environment and dependencies, so we can see if something is wrong or missing for VTune.

HW event-based analysis with context switches
Example of analysis types: Threading with HW event-based sampling
Collection: Fail
vtune: Error: Cannot enable Hardware Event-Based Sampling or Hardware Tracing. Please check the following:

* Check that the Sampling Driver is loaded (see the Install the Sampling Drivers for Windows Targets help topic for details).

* Run the product as administrator to collect hardware events.

Checking DPC++ application as prerequisite for GPU analyses: Ok

GPU HW event-based analysis with runtime tracing
Example of analysis types: GPU Compute/Media Hotspots (characterization mode)
Collection: Ok
vtune: Warning: Analysis result will not show the detailed GPU Utilization. See GPU Utilization help topic for more details.
To collect events required for detailed GPU utilization analysis, run the product with the administrative privileges.
Finalization: Ok...
Report: Ok

GPU software event-based analysis with runtime tracing
Example of analysis types: GPU Compute/Media Hotspots (source analysis mode)
Collection: Fail
vtune: Error: [Instrumentation Engine]: GTPin: IGC-GTPin interface version 66939632 is not supported
vtune: Warning: [Instrumentation Engine]: GTPin: GTPin didn't find any kernels... Exiting without doing anything.

The check observed a product failure on your system.
Review errors in the output above to fix a problem or contact Intel technical support.

The system is ready for the following analyses:
* Performance Snapshot
* Hotspots and Threading with user-mode sampling
* GPU HW event-based analysis with runtime tracing

The following analyses have failed on the system:
* Hotspots with HW event-based sampling, HPC Performance Characterization, etc.
* Microarchitecture Exploration
* Memory Access
* Hotspots with HW event-based sampling and call stacks
* Threading with HW event-based sampling
* GPU Compute/Media Hotspots (source analysis mode)

Log location: C:\Users\yuzhang3\AppData\Local\Temp\vtune-tmp-yuzhang3\self-checker-2024.05.15_12.12.21\log.txt

0 Kudos
Bruce_Weaver
Beginner

Hi,

Here it is the last log before the log that blue screened.  I see no reference to libiomp5md.dll, for example, that was one of hte missing DLLs it says it couldn't find.  Reinstall the program it suggests but I can't reinstall VTune w/o reinsatlling all of OneAPI.  Is there a way to install VTune w/o it complaining that it is already installed but hidden in OneAPI?

0 Kudos
yuzhang3_intel

From the log, there are some errors:

1. Need to run the product as administrator.

2. Confirm VTune driver is ready.  

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/vtune-profiler/user-guide/2024-1/install-sampling-drivers-for-windows-targets.html

3. The utility depends on oneAPI, so if you have installed oneAPI, you must configure the environment before running VTune.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\oneAPI>setvars.bat 

If you didn't install oneAPI and just want to verify VTune, you can run the below command to check (run as administrator).

C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\oneAPI\vtune\latest\bin64>vtune -collect performance-snapshot --duration unlimited

0 Kudos
Bruce_Weaver
Beginner

Did all of suggested successfully.

Ran VTune from tools in VS, started as admin, same complaint: execution cannot proceed because libifcoremd.dll not found. also libmmd.dll, also mkl_intel_thread.2.dll.  Program runs ok in either debug or release mode.  I can find these DLLs.  Where should I put them that VTune will find them?

If I try to run advisor, I get an unexplained error.  The program is running fine but it is on a separate drive than c:

I've had issues with the setup of vtune in previous years, which I fixed by playing with where to look for various parts...This set up is a bit different & I'm using hte inherit settings from IDE project choice.

Any ideas I can try tomorrow?

0 Kudos
yuzhang3_intel

I have some considerations here, can you check them one by one?

1. If you run VTune directly, not from VS,  the same issue is also observed?

2. Is the issue observed if you run binary without VTune?

3. It looks like all the missing DLLs are related to the compiler rather than VTune. You can refer to one solution for a similar issue posted on the compiler forum.

https://community.intel.com/t5/Intel-Fortran-Compiler/libifcoremd-dll-libmmd-dll-Missing-Error/td-p/1132958

0 Kudos