Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4995 Discussions

Dynamic code (JIT) is not shown with hardware-based performance counter profiling

Alex_K_1
Beginner

I use the JIT profiling API to notify VTune of the dynamically generated code segment. The dynamic code portion appears in the profiler output when running the 'hotspot' collection but does not with the 'general-exploration' collection as well as with manually configured hardware events. I use exactly the same program invocation in both cases. Other parts of the code seem to be sampled correctly. I use amplxe-gui to analyse the results.

The system is 64-bit Linux with Vtune version:

bash-4.1$ amplxe-cl --version
Intel(R) VTune(TM) Amplifier XE 2015 Update 1 (build 380310) Command Line Tool
Copyright (C) 2009-2014 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.

1) The following works as expected:

amplxe-cl -collect hotspots <myprogram> - this works with JIT code

I see the line 'amplxe: Executing actions 16 % Resolving information for `[Dynamic code]'' in the profiler log, which is good sign that my use of JIT API is correct.

2) The following two profiler runs do not show dynamic code in the output and it is not mentioned in the log:

amplxe-cl -collect-with runsa -knob event-config=CPU_CLK_UNHALTED.CORE:sa=1000000 <myprogram>

amplxw-cl -collect general-exploration <myprogram>

I will appreciate any directions to be able to run hardware-based profiling with JIT code. Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
David_A_Intel1
Employee

Hi Alex:

That's a pretty old version of VTune Amplifier XE that you are using (released Oct. 29, 2014). I'm pretty sure there were issues with JIT profiling support that have since been resolved.  I suggest the first thing to try is for you to download the latest release, version 2016 Update 2 (released in Dec. 2015) and check to see if you still experience the problem.  If you can't upgrade to the latest release because your support period has ended, you can download an eval copy for testing purposes.  Then, if the problem is resolved, you may consider upgrading.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
David_A_Intel1
Employee

Hi Alex:

That's a pretty old version of VTune Amplifier XE that you are using (released Oct. 29, 2014). I'm pretty sure there were issues with JIT profiling support that have since been resolved.  I suggest the first thing to try is for you to download the latest release, version 2016 Update 2 (released in Dec. 2015) and check to see if you still experience the problem.  If you can't upgrade to the latest release because your support period has ended, you can download an eval copy for testing purposes.  Then, if the problem is resolved, you may consider upgrading.

0 Kudos
Alex_K_1
Beginner

It has been a while since I asked this question, but I still would like to confirm that we have successfully used the version 2016 Update 2 with dynamic code and hardware-based profiling. Thanks!

0 Kudos
Rene_P_
Beginner

Hi, 

I am also trying to analyze java applications with VTUNE 2016 v2 on ubuntu 14.04 (general exploration). But none of my Java classes/functions show up in the top-down/bottom-up stacks. Is it because of JIT'ing? If so, how can I analyze java programs using the latest vtune version. I am using OpenJDK 1.7.

I would appreciate it if some one can give an example?

Thanks,

Rene

0 Kudos