Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4975 Discussions

Error: Failed to allocate Injector, Error = INJECTOR_ERR_FAILED_TO_CREATE_REMOTE_THREAD

Sophie_B_
Beginner

Hello,

I just installed the VTune Amplifier XD (2013) evaluation edition (I have had a license key ordered but I have not yet received it).

I am trying to look into some performance issues that are occurring in some Java /or/ C++ code (the Java layer is the main codebase, but via JNI we utilize C++ code, also). The application cannot run standalone, however - so I cannot launch if from the command line; it has to run within a processing server (that runs as a java process owned by "SYSTEM", according to the Task Manager - I could be mistaken, but I do not believe that I can change this to run as Administrator, which is the user I log onto the system as). I am also running on a vCloud image, it appears that we are using VMware vCloud Director 5.1. The last point that is probably important is that it isn't the Oracle JVM, but rather our internally packaged JVM (I'm not sure if there are differences though I know that technically only Oracle JVM is supported, and I've already received confirmation from our build team that they could rebuild everything with the Oracle JVM in a one-off build for me if that would resolve the issue with VTune).

I am able to create a project (attach to process) and start running a "Basic Hotspots" analysis. When I hit stop I get an error "The data cannot be displayed: there is no viewpoint applicable for the data." The collection log claims that Analysis completed successfully, same with finalization - but in the Collector Messages there is "Error: Failed to allocate Injector, Error = INJECTOR_ERR_FAILED_TO_CREATE_REMOTE_THREAD". 

Aside from http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/topic/281826#comments I have not found anything related to this error, and that was in 2011 and didn't seem to have a happy ending.

Is anyone familiar with this issue/have any ideas for how to get around it?

* Is it caused by being on a VM?

* Is it caused by using a non-Oracle JVM?

* Is it caused by attaching to a process that is run by a different user ("SYSTEM") than the user that is running VTune ("Administrator")?

Thank you to anyone who is able to provide any assistance,

Sophie

0 Kudos
16 Replies
David_A_Intel1
Employee

Hi Sophie:

Yeah, this is not going to be pretty.  The VM has no impact, since you are using Basic Hotspots.  Either or both of the other two bullets could be the cause.  The best thing for you to do with this complicated problem is to submit an issue at Intel® Premier Support so that our team of technical support engineers can work with you to determine the cause and a solution, if available.

0 Kudos
Sophie_B_
Beginner

I appreciate your very fast reply, MrAnderson - even if it isn't with the information I was hoping for. Now unfortunately the link that you provided is telling me that I am not authorized, and doesn't really tell me what to do about it - is this because I do not have a full license yet for VTune, or does my employer need to buy access to this support extra?

Thanks,

Sophie

Edit: Excuse me, I typed vCloud instead of VTune. Corrected now.

0 Kudos
David_A_Intel1
Employee

What type of license is it?

0 Kudos
Sophie_B_
Beginner

I only have an evaluation copy now - I am still waiting for my license. My coworkers who ordered a vTune license recently received theirs about 2 weeks after placing their order (so I won't have mine for another 10 days, or so).

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

I>>>NJECTOR_ERR_FAILED_TO_CREATE_REMOTE_THREAD>>>

My uneducated guess is that CreateRemoteThread() Win API function failed.If we only could obtain the handle and check it for null value.

Can you post the log?

0 Kudos
Sophie_B_
Beginner

Hi iliyapolak,

Where would I find the vTune log file? I checked in the install directory for VTune as well as the AppData Local and Roaming directories.

Thanks,

Sophie

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

>>>The collection log claims that Analysis completed successfully>>>

I mean this collection log.

0 Kudos
Sophie_B_
Beginner

Oh, that doesn't give any useful information. All that I see is the text stating it completed successfully. I've attached a screenshot.

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

@Sophie

Sorry probably misunderstood your post.

@Peter , @MrAnderson

In which directory does VTune store its log file(s)?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Sophie_B_
Beginner

A few quick updates:

I found the configuration to change the processing server so that it is run by "Administrator" (so both VTune and the java process are owned by Administrator). I am still seeing the problem.

I also swapped out the java.exe and javaw.exe from our company's own flavor of JVM with the Oracle 6 JVM files (I tried to just use the Oracle JVM without any of our internal files, but that didn't work), unfortunately this did not work, either. (Though in this case, I would guess that I simply have not replaced enough of the files). This seemed like a good option to try while I wait for a one-off build to be created that uses the Oracle JVM.

I am still using a VM image.

Only thing different about the error message this time is that it didn't tell me finalization was successful twice, just once. That doesn't seem important, though.

-Sophie

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

I searched for any log files created by VTune on my computer ,but I was unsuccessful.

0 Kudos
varun_nagpaal
Beginner

I am facing the same issue. Any ideas how to resolve this problem ?

I have tried starting amplifier 2013 and my application executable using administrator privileges. I have also tried running them in user mode. And I am getting the error.

Also, I attach Amplifier to running application. I am accessing my machine remotely via windows remote desktop application. The target system is running windows 7 x64 bit on 64-bit Intel Xeon E7 processor

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

varun.nagpaal wrote:

I am facing the same issue. Any ideas how to resolve this problem ?

I have tried starting amplifier 2013 and my application executable using administrator privileges. I have also tried running them in user mode. And I am getting the error.

Also, I attach Amplifier to running application. I am accessing my machine remotely via windows remote desktop application. The target system is running windows 7 x64 bit on 64-bit Intel Xeon E7 processor

Can you search event viewer for any VTune related errors?

0 Kudos
David_A_Intel1
Employee

@varun.nagpaal

Is the application a Windows* service, by chance?

0 Kudos
Uzair_A_
Beginner

I'm trying to use an evaluation version of VTune Amplifier XE for windows 2016 to profile my application which is a windows service. 

I got the following collection log:

[Instrumentation Engine]:Failed to allocate Injector, Error = INJECTOR_ERR_FAILED_TO_CREATE_REMOTE_THREAD

Profiling Details: 

target type: Attach to Process
target is a running windows Service

Could you please help me on this? Thank you!

0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

I suppose that you may refer to this article - if you profile windows service application.

0 Kudos