Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4975 Discussions

Error launching vtune-gui after installing Ubuntu kernel debug packages

M_Stickland
Novice

I'm new to VTune, and am running it in a Ubuntu VM using VMWare Fusion on Mac OS X Monterey.

After installing Intel VTune Profiler 2022.1.0 on Ubuntu 18.04, I was able to run and use the VTune gui without encountering errors when launching it. However, since I did get errors about not having kernel debug files, I installed the kernel debug symbol packages (linux-image-5.4.0-107-generic-dbgsym) using apt-get.

After installing the kernel debug symbol files, I'm now getting the following errors when running vtune-gui.

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ vtune-gui
[2414:0415/122324.136712:ERROR:angle_platform_impl.cc(44)] renderergl_utils.cpp:188 (ClearErrors): Preexisting GL error 0x00000500 as of ../../third_party/angle/src/libANGLE/renderer/gl/TextureGL.cpp, setImageHelper:256. 
[2381:0415/122327.011769:ERROR:cert_issuer_source_aia.cc(104)] AiaRequest::OnFetchCompleted got error -301
[2381:0415/122327.121572:ERROR:cert_issuer_source_aia.cc(104)] AiaRequest::OnFetchCompleted got error -301
[2381:0415/122327.157548:ERROR:cert_issuer_source_aia.cc(104)] AiaRequest::OnFetchCompleted got error -301

I've checked my enterprise ca-cert files on this VM and everything seems ok. I also see server certificate files for intel.com in my browser:

M_Stickland_0-1650052806556.png

But, these aren't likely to be available to the VTune app itself.

Please let me know if there's something I could do to attempt to fix this problem. Otherwise I think my only option would be to uninstall/reinstall the VTune application.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
JyothisV_Intel

Hi,

Good day to you.

Sorry for the delay.

Thanks for providing us with all the necessary additional information. We investigated your issue with the internal team who confirmed that the use-case in which you are running VTune is not a supported platform or environment. VTune can only work with full functionality on Linux or Windows virtual guest machines running inside Linux or Windows host machines. Virtual machine inside macOS is not a supported platform for VTune profiler. You can read more regarding the virtual machine targets and the corresponding supported hypervisors in the links below:

We recommend you switch to a supported host or guest system to ensure full functionality and error-free operation of VTune.

Thanks and Regards,

Jyothis V James

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
M_Stickland
Novice

CORRECTION: After removing/reinstalling VTune 2022.2.0 using the Standalone Offline installer, I discovered that the AIA errors didn't show up immediately, but only after I rebuilt the Sampling Drivers. I downloaded the sepdk files from https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/developer/articles/code-sample/vtune-profiler-sampling-driver-downloads.html?wapkw=sampling%20driver, then rebuilt them following instructions in the sepdk/src/README.txt file.

After removing the old drivers and reinstalling the newly built ones, I then saw the AIA errors (see previous post).

The reason I rebuilt the Sampling Drivers is because they didn't build/install correctly during the initial VTune installation process, and when rebuilding the sepdk/src files that came with the Standalone Offline installer the vtsspp driver failed to build.

JyothisV_Intel

Hi,

Good day to you.

Thanks for posting in Intel Communities.

We tried replicating your issue from our side on an Intel Core i5 Mac Mini running macOS Monterey 12.2.1. The VM was created using VMware Fusion Professional 12.2.3 on Ubuntu 18.04.6 LTS ISO. We were able to replicate the issue from our side partially on that VM. The Sampling Drivers are automatically built during the VTune installation process. We have observed and noted that the vtsspp driver is failing to build. We are working on this internally to find out why it is failing.

As a workaround solution, just like you informed us we tried building the Sampling Drivers using the sepdk files from the Intel website. On building the drivers, we were able to observe that the sampling drivers including the vtsspp drivers are built successfully and loaded. Unfortunately, we were unable to get the AIA errors that you mentioned while loading the VTune GUI (Refer screenshot: Snap.png).

As an alternative approach to access the GUI, can you try loading the VTune Web Server Interface by running the following command and accessing the generated URL in a browser window either in the host OS (macOS) or on guest OS (Ubuntu):

$ sudo <vtune-install-dir>/bin64/vtune-backend --allow-remote-access

Eg.:

sudo /opt/intel/oneapi/vtune/latest/bin64/vtune-backend --allow-remote-access

The first time you access this URL on your browser, you will be shown a warning regarding self-signed certificate since the website is loaded locally. Kindly confirm and bypass this warning to access the VTune Web Server GUI.

VTune Web Server Interface Documentation: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/documentation/vtune-help/top/launch/web-server-ui.html

Additionally, inorder to investigate this issue further, can you share with us the output of the following commands along with the exact steps that you followed to download and build the drivers from the Intel website:

$ sudo <vtune-install-dir>/sepdk/src/insmod-sep -r

$ sudo <vtune-install-dir>/sepdk/src/insmod-sep -q

$ sudo <vtune-install-dir>/bin64/vtune-self-checker.sh

Eg.:

sudo /opt/intel/oneapi/vtune/latest/sepdk/src/insmod-sep -r
sudo /opt/intel/oneapi/vtune/latest/sepdk/src/insmod-sep -q
sudo /opt/intel/oneapi/vtune/latest/bin64/vtune-self-checker.sh

Thanks and Regards,

Jyothis V James

0 Kudos
M_Stickland
Novice

Hi, thanks for your reply.

I'll do my best to provide the additional information you've requested, however, in the interest of full disclosure I don't have the exact same environment I did when I first posted this error. I've since attempted to use the various means of installing/removing VTune (standalone VTune installer offline & online, standalone oneAPI Base Toolkit installer offline & online, and apt package manager installs of each) multiple times to see if any one would work to allow for the vtsspp driver to install without the need to download the one from the Intel site. None of them worked.

That being said, I've now reinstalled VTune 2022.2.0 using the Standalone Offline installer (as was the case when I first encountered this AIA error), and built the Sampling drivers using the sepdk files downloaded from the Intel site (listed above). The one difference I noticed was that, this time, the AIA error was already present prior to installing the sepdk files downloaded from the Intel site.

Originally, to install the Sampling drivers I first followed the instructions in /opt/intel/oneapi/vtune/2022.2.0/sepdk/src/README.txt

ubuntu@ubuntu:/opt/intel/oneapi/vtune/2022.2.0/sepdk/src$ sudo ./build-driver

ubuntu@ubuntu:/opt/intel/oneapi/vtune/2022.2.0/sepdk/src$ sudo ./rmmod-sep

ubuntu@ubuntu:/opt/intel/oneapi/vtune/2022.2.0/sepdk/src$ sudo ./insmod-sep

When that didn't work I followed the instructions in /opt/intel/oneapi/vtune/2022.2.0/sepdk/src/vtsspp/README.tx

ubuntu@ubuntu:/opt/intel/oneapi/vtune/2022.2.0/sepdk/src$ sudo ./vtsspp/build-driver

ubuntu@ubuntu:/opt/intel/oneapi/vtune/2022.2.0/sepdk/src$ sudo ./vtsspp/rmmod-sep

ubuntu@ubuntu:/opt/intel/oneapi/vtune/2022.2.0/sepdk/src$ sudo ./vtsspp/insmod-sep

When that didn't work I downloaded the replacement sepdk files from the Intel site and replaced the local sepdk folder with the new one. Then I reran the original set of instructions and saw that the vtsspp driver now succeeded in installing.

************************************************************************************

To rebuild mu new VTune environment, I ran: 

1. sudo bash ./l_oneapi_vtune_p_2022.2.0.172_offline.shsource /opt/intel/oneapi/setvars.sh
  2. source /opt/intel/oneapi/setvars.sh
    :: initializing oneAPI environment ...
    bash: BASH_VERSION = 4.4.20(1)-release
    args: Using "$@" for setvars.sh arguments:
    :: vtune -- latest
    :: oneAPI environment initialized ::

In my newly rebuilt VTune environment, after initial VTune installation:

1. ubuntu@ubuntu:/opt/intel/oneapi/vtune/2022.2.0/sepdk/src$ sudo ./insmod-sep -q
pax driver is loaded and owned by group "vtune" with file permissions "660".
socperf3 driver is loaded and owned by group "vtune" with file permissions "660".
sep5 driver is loaded and owned by group "vtune" with file permissions "660".

socwatch driver is loaded and owned by group "vtune" with file permissions "660".

vtsspp driver is not loaded.

I ran the vtune-self-checker at this stage -- the resulting log file is attached as:

1-selfcheck-after-initial-install_log.txt

2. Attempted to build/install the Sampling driver that came with the initial install following the instructions in /opt/intel/oneapi/vtune/2022.2.0/sepdk/src/README.txt

Commands and Output included at beginning of attached file rebuild-driver-original.txt

3. Attempted to build/install the vtsspp driver that came with the initial install following the instructions in /opt/intel/oneapi/vtune/2022.2.0/sepdk/src/vtsspp/README.txt

Commands and Output included at end of attached file rebuild-driver-original.txt

I reran the vtune-self-checker at this stage -- the resulting log file is attached as:

2-selfcheck-after-original-driver-rebuild-fails_log.txt

4. Downloaded new sepdk package from Intel site (see original post), and replaced the original sepdk folder/files with the new ones.

5. Attempted to build/install the NEW Sampling driver (from Intel site) following the instructions in /opt/intel/oneapi/vtune/2022.2.0/sepdk/src/README.txt

Commands and Output included in attached file build-driver-updated.txt

I reran the vtune-self-checker at this stage -- the resulting log file is attached as:

3-selfcheck-after-updated-driver-rebuild-success_log.txt

In my newly rebuilt VTune environment with updated Sampling drivers, the output from the commands you requested are as follows.

$ sudo /opt/intel/oneapi/vtune/2022.2.0/sepdk/src/insmod-sep -r

Removing sep5 driver from the kernel ... done.
The sep5 driver has been successfully unloaded.
Removing vtsspp driver from the kernel ... done.
The vtsspp driver has been successfully unloaded.
Removing socwatch2_12 driver from the kernel ... Killed

Error: unable to remove socwatch2_12 driver from the kernel ... exiting.

Error: failed to reload sep5 driver

Note: I have previously seen problems removing the socwatch2_12 driver, with the message:

Removing socwatch2_12 driver from the kernel ... Driver In Use (or something similar)

I was only able to resolve it in the past by rebooting the VM.

$ sudo /opt/intel/oneapi/vtune/2022.2.0/sepdk/src/insmod-sep -q

pax driver is loaded and owned by group "vtune" with file permissions "660".
socperf3 driver is loaded and owned by group "vtune" with file permissions "660".
sep5 driver is not loaded.
socwatch driver is loaded.
vtsspp driver is not loaded.

$ sudo /opt/intel/oneapi/vtune/2022.2.0/bin64/vtune-self-checker.s

Output from vtune-self-checker run at this stage is in the log file attached as:

4-selfcheck-after-insmod-sep-reload-failure_log.txt

I hope this helps you debug this issue.

Best,

M_Stickland

0 Kudos
M_Stickland
Novice

UPDATE TO PREVIOUS RRPLY:

Hi,

In my previous reply I listed the three requested commands as having been run from /opt/intel/oneapi/vtune/2022.2.0/sepdk/src.

In fact, the first two (insmod-sep) commands had in fact been run as requested, from /opt/intel/oneapi/vtune/latest/sepdk/src, which resulted in the socwatch2_12 driver error.

The problem was that I hadn't replaced the sepdk folder in /opt/intel/oneapi/vtune/latest with the updated one I downloaded from the Intel site.

After realizing this, I rebooted the VM (to resolve the socwatch2_12 driver error) and then reran the three requested commands -- and this time everything appears to have worked as intended.

The terminal output from running these three commands from /opt/intel/oneapi/vtune/2022.2.0/sepdk/src are included in the attached file requested-commands-output-after-reboot.txt

The output from running vtune-self-check is included in attached file 5-selfcheck-after-reboot-and-insmod-sep-reload-success_log.txt

These outputs replace the stuff listed in my previous reply after the "In my newly rebuilt VTune environment with updated Sampling drivers, the output from the commands you requested are as follows." sentence.

Best,

M_Stickland

P.S. I still haven't replaced replaced the sepdk folder in /opt/intel/oneapi/vtune/latest with the updated one I downloaded from the Intel site. I wonder if there are other things in the system that run by default from /opt/intel/oneapi/vtune/latest.

0 Kudos
JyothisV_Intel

Hi,

Good day to you.

Sorry for the delay.

Thanks for providing us with all the necessary additional information. We investigated your issue with the internal team who confirmed that the use-case in which you are running VTune is not a supported platform or environment. VTune can only work with full functionality on Linux or Windows virtual guest machines running inside Linux or Windows host machines. Virtual machine inside macOS is not a supported platform for VTune profiler. You can read more regarding the virtual machine targets and the corresponding supported hypervisors in the links below:

We recommend you switch to a supported host or guest system to ensure full functionality and error-free operation of VTune.

Thanks and Regards,

Jyothis V James

0 Kudos
JyothisV_Intel

Hi,

Good day to you.

We have not heard back from you. Is your issue resolved? If not, do let us know.

Thanks and Regards,

Jyothis V James

0 Kudos
JyothisV_Intel

Hi,

Good day to you.

We have not heard back from you. We assume that your issue is resolved.

If you need any additional information, please post a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel.

Thanks and Regards,

Jyothis V James

0 Kudos