Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4995 Discussions

Error using Intel tuning assistant

sidharth_wali
Beginner
I get an error message while trying to use the tuning assistant for performance tuning
I highlighted the section of the code that I wanted to optimise (from the source view in the sampling results) -and hit the Intel tuning assitant buttion
However, it is unable to recognise one of the #include commands in my source file (It doesn't recognise the #include - I get the message,could not open source file-stdexcept .
I know it is an error in the build settings
I have tried various options in the build settings but it refuses to recognise/open >
I have tried selecting/unselecting the vcvars32 option
Here is what I have in my build settings look like
-basically I am trying to optimise a *.cpp( call it yyy.cpp)file which is in a *.dll (call it xxx.dll)application
Executable Filename - c: emp eleasexxx.dll
Build and Display information -VisualC++ Project
Build utility filename - Browse for another file
Project File -C: empzzz.vcproj (The build settings are requesting a *.dsp file but when I select the Visual C++ project option in the build and Display information -it automatically puts the zzz.vcproj here)
Build Switches -it is empty
I know the problem seems to be that the tuning assistant is unable to parse my source file completely (maybe because it is unable to open my #include ) or maybe because it needs a *.dsp file which my compiler doesn't generate (since I am using Visual Studio .net 2003 IDE) -
I have even tried the individual compile option but that also gives me the error message
I would appreciate any feedback on how to go about fixing the above problem
0 Kudos
4 Replies
jk-ware
Beginner
Try to install the programin the environment ofVisual Studio .net 2003.
May be this will solve all your problems.
0 Kudos
David_A_Intel1
Employee
Hi sidharth_wali:
My recommendation to anyone trying to use the source-level Tuning Assistant is to create a .i file outside of the VTune analyzer and simply specify this when configuring for source-level advice. This removes all opportunities for the analyzer to make a mistake in generating the preprocessed file, because you have done it using the compiler!
0 Kudos
sidharth_wali
Beginner
Hi Dave,
By .i file, do you mean -the header file ? I guess I am not sure what it means to take the .i file out of VTUNE ? Perhaps, you can elaborate some more on it.
Thanks and Regards
0 Kudos
David_A_Intel1
Employee
Hi:
I mean, generate a .i file (preprocessor output) with the compiler. For the Microsoft* compiler, this means using the /P switch. Then, in the configuration of the analyzer, you specify the .i file instead of any project or makefile.
0 Kudos