Analyzers
Support for Analyzers (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor, Intel Inspector)
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
4557 Discussions

Error using Intel tuning assistant

sidharth_wali
Beginner
I get an error message while trying to use the tuning assistant for performance tuning
I highlighted the section of the code that I wanted to optimise (from the source view in the sampling results) -and hit the Intel tuning assitant buttion
However, it is unable to recognise one of the #include commands in my source file (It doesn't recognise the #include - I get the message,could not open source file-stdexcept .
I know it is an error in the build settings
I have tried various options in the build settings but it refuses to recognise/open >
I have tried selecting/unselecting the vcvars32 option
Here is what I have in my build settings look like
-basically I am trying to optimise a *.cpp( call it yyy.cpp)file which is in a *.dll (call it xxx.dll)application
Executable Filename - c: emp eleasexxx.dll
Build and Display information -VisualC++ Project
Build utility filename - Browse for another file
Project File -C: empzzz.vcproj (The build settings are requesting a *.dsp file but when I select the Visual C++ project option in the build and Display information -it automatically puts the zzz.vcproj here)
Build Switches -it is empty
I know the problem seems to be that the tuning assistant is unable to parse my source file completely (maybe because it is unable to open my #include ) or maybe because it needs a *.dsp file which my compiler doesn't generate (since I am using Visual Studio .net 2003 IDE) -
I have even tried the individual compile option but that also gives me the error message
I would appreciate any feedback on how to go about fixing the above problem
0 Kudos
4 Replies
jk-ware
Beginner
Try to install the programin the environment ofVisual Studio .net 2003.
May be this will solve all your problems.
David_A_Intel1
Employee
Hi sidharth_wali:
My recommendation to anyone trying to use the source-level Tuning Assistant is to create a .i file outside of the VTune analyzer and simply specify this when configuring for source-level advice. This removes all opportunities for the analyzer to make a mistake in generating the preprocessed file, because you have done it using the compiler!
sidharth_wali
Beginner
Hi Dave,
By .i file, do you mean -the header file ? I guess I am not sure what it means to take the .i file out of VTUNE ? Perhaps, you can elaborate some more on it.
Thanks and Regards
David_A_Intel1
Employee
Hi:
I mean, generate a .i file (preprocessor output) with the compiler. For the Microsoft* compiler, this means using the /P switch. Then, in the configuration of the analyzer, you specify the .i file instead of any project or makefile.