Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

Failed to allocate Injector, Error = INJECTOR_ERR_FAILED_TO_CREATE_REMOTE_THREAD

Uzair_A_
Beginner

I'm trying to use an evaluation version of VTune Amplifier XE for windows 2016 to profile my application which is a windows service. 

I got the following collection log:

[Instrumentation Engine]:Failed to allocate Injector, Error = INJECTOR_ERR_FAILED_TO_CREATE_REMOTE_THREAD

Profiling Details: 

target type:  Attach to Process
target is a running windows Service

Could you please help me on this? Thank you!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

A simple solution is to use hardware PMU event-based sampling, e.g. advanced-hotspots, general-exploration,... (with administrator privilege)

If you profile a windows service application with user-mode sampling (basic-hotspots, for example), read this article

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

A simple solution is to use hardware PMU event-based sampling, e.g. advanced-hotspots, general-exploration,... (with administrator privilege)

If you profile a windows service application with user-mode sampling (basic-hotspots, for example), read this article

0 Kudos
Uzair_A_
Beginner

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your prompt reply. Your post was very helpful and I was able to attach to my service and could profile it.
Now I have another doubt.
My whole application consists of a service and a file system filter driver.

Now, is it possible to do windows kernel profiling and specifically file system filter driver profiling with VTune?
Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

This is good news from you.

>My whole application consists of a service and a file system filter driver. Now, is it possible to do windows kernel profiling and specifically file system filter driver profiling with VTune?

You may try advanced-hotspots (or other event-based sampling collectors) with "-analyze-system" option, after data collecting to open Bottom-up report, move to "bottom" called "Filter" panel to set "User/system functions", select module of your interest to filter data. I think that your *hot* driver should be there.

If your application have many waits e.g. disk IO, consider to use locksandwaits analysis to measure IO waits.

0 Kudos