Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4998 Discussions

Failed to use Counter Moniter

kiddxin75
Beginner
Hi,

I tried to use Counter Moniter activity to check the system performance of an application. But the VTune always failed to run the activity. There is a popup for the error: "Execution of D:\PathXXX\YYY.exe failed for unknown reasons. Try running the application seperately to be sure permission and access are correct.". In fact it seems I have this error on any application when I tried to use Counter Monitor activity.

I have no problem to run the application and I am using an admistrative account. I also have no problem to run the Samplingand Call Graph activity on the same application. And I build the application in Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 under Windows Vista.

Can anybody give me some guide on this error please? Does anybody has the same error before?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Best Regards,

KIDD
0 Kudos
5 Replies
kiddxin75
Beginner
Quoting - kiddxin75
Hi,

I tried to use Counter Moniter activity to check the system performance of an application. But the VTune always failed to run the activity. There is a popup for the error: "Execution of D:PathXXXYYY.exe failed for unknown reasons. Try running the application seperately to be sure permission and access are correct.". In fact it seems I have this error on any application when I tried to use Counter Monitor activity.

I have no problem to run the application and I am using an admistrative account. I also have no problem to run the Samplingand Call Graph activity on the same application. And I build the application in Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 under Windows Vista.

Can anybody give me some guide on this error please? Does anybody has the same error before?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Best Regards,

KIDD

By the way, I am using VTune Performance Analyzer 9.1 (Build 138).
0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
Quoting - kiddxin75
Hi,

I tried to use Counter Moniter activity to check the system performance of an application. But the VTune always failed to run the activity. There is a popup for the error: "Execution of D:PathXXXYYY.exe failed for unknown reasons. Try running the application seperately to be sure permission and access are correct.". In fact it seems I have this error on any application when I tried to use Counter Monitor activity.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Best Regards,

KIDD

Based on my experience, it was not caused by Intel VTune Performance Analyzer, please check if you can run perfmon.exe from Microsoft* normally? Usually some data are corrupted in registry table, please refer tohttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/152513to know more in detail.

Thanks, Peter
0 Kudos
David_A_Intel1
Employee
Also check out the elevateUserRight.exe utility in the VTuneAnalyzerBin directory. It may be a user permissions issue. Are you running as Administrator or another user on the system?

0 Kudos
kiddxin75
Beginner

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I have no problem to run the PerfMon and I am running as an administrator.

When running elevateUserRight.exe verify, it said "Counter Monitor" is available and "Sampling" is available

When running elevateUserRight.exe add_all, it said both are already availbale already.

Any more information?

Thanks a lot.

KIDD

0 Kudos
geoffrey-burling
Employee
This is more or less a shot in the dark. From the error message you posted above it appears you are running an executable on the D: drive. If so, is this drive a network drive? In that case, move the executable to a local drive and try it again. Network file systems introduce another factor of complexity to analysis that could lead to unpredictable (& unreliable)results.

Geoff
0 Kudos